DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Decks & Patios > How Much Weight Will a Lag Bolt Take ???

Old 07-21-2014, 12:08 PM  
NorPlan

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default How Much Weight Will a Lag Bolt Take ???

Came across an idea to Hang a DIY Hammock Bed from the Ceiling in the Backdeck Sunroom.... We've looked at various sizes and ideas on Pinterest.. The idea is taking a Super Single Mattress , 2x4 frame and plywood..4 chains and appropriate hooks top and bottom..Then screw hook lag bolts into 2 / 2x4's placed across from truss to truss which the chains will be hanging from.. Pictures can be deceiving and some ideas are a double bed hanging on chains...Hence my Query, Will a Lag Bolt hold the Weight and if so How a much Weight..

Remember to Measure Twice , Cut a Once..lol..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2014, 12:22 PM  
Chris
Guru of nothing
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 165 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 31

It all depends on size, material and material it is going into. That said I have eye bolts into a single 4" x 6" to hang my hammock on my patio.

You can always drill through and nut and washer the a bolt through the wood and I believe that way will hold more than just threads into wood. Also green wood will bite better than an old piece.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:58 PM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

Liked 398 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 130

There is a huge difference in fasteners these days. I’m just finishing up the deck and I used lags to attach the rail posts. I bought some junk bolts at tractor supply and I would pre-drill holes and snap the heads off barely tightening them. Don’t use this junk that’s coming from China. With a good quality bolt you won’t need that big of bolts at all. If you do want to calculate it figure area of the minor dia of the threads X 10,000 to get the pounds it will safely hold. 10,000 would have a safety factor already in it of 2 or 3 :1 would be my guess.
.25-20 300 lbs per
.312-18 500 lbs per
.375-16 750 lbs per

The screws you use to hold these 2x4 up should be deck type screws not drywall screws and go a good inch and a half into the joists. The 2x4 idea is good because you will be spreading the load across many joists. Two screws into each joist.

Then all you need is a sign (If the sunrooms a rocking don’t come a knocking!)

Old 07-21-2014, 03:29 PM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Liked 167 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 94

A 200 lb person in a hammock where the support chains are 30 degrees below the horizontal will have 200 lb tension in each of two support ropes.
A tighter hammock at 15 degrees will have 400 lbs tension and a saggy hammock at 45 degrees will have 140 lbs.

Assuming a tensile strength of 70,000 PSI, a 0.3" dia. bolt could hold 70,000 x 3.14 x (0.3^2)/4 = ~5000 lbs.

5000/200 = 25, a way big safety factor.

Last edited by Wuzzat?; 07-22-2014 at 06:32 PM.
slownsteady Likes This 
Old 07-21-2014, 05:32 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 921 Times on 822 Posts
Likes Given: 1585

"I" bolt with nuts and washers, in a sun room you could have people using it as a sofa, best over do it.

Old 07-22-2014, 03:32 PM  
NorPlan

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
There is a huge difference in fasteners these days.
The screws you use to hold these 2x4 up should be deck type screws not drywall screws and go a good inch and a half into the joists. The 2x4 idea is good because you will be spreading the load across many joists. Two screws into each joist.

Then all you need is a sign (If the sunrooms a rocking don’t come a knocking!)

10-4 on a Deck Screw stronger than a Drywall Screw...The Plan is to use lag bolts to screw the 2x4 cross member into the Trusses.. Having browsed Pinterest for ideas, a few were Double Bed size hanging by chains from the ceiling...And not the bolt & nut theory either as some were older homes or Verandas, doubt if they took the time to pull the ceiling down.. That's where we are , this idea came along later, I have v-joint closing off the ceiling...

@ bud16415. This Senior Citizen don't need Warning Signs...Got a couple High Energy Grand Kiddies is the concern..

Old 07-22-2014, 06:04 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 115 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 65

I would go to the local nut & bolt guy (not a big box store, not a hardware) and they will help you with bolt hardness and sheer strength.
I would also recommend the threaded eye bolt w/a washer and 2 nuts (jamb nut).
In my neck of the woods, I have a nut & bolt store that is their specialty. They provide hardware for Cedar Point, OH roller coasters.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:26 AM  
NorPlan

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kok328 View Post
I would go to the local nut & bolt guy (not a big box store, not a hardware) and they will help you with bolt hardness and sheer strength.
I would also recommend the threaded eye bolt w/a washer and 2 nuts (jamb nut).
In my neck of the woods, I have a nut & bolt store that is their specialty. They provide hardware for Cedar Point, OH roller coasters.
@ kok328... I hear yah !! We got one of those Nut,Bolt,Fasteners Specialty Stores close by too...Amazing what you find if you keep digging Can you believe if I could drill a hole wide enough, a collapsible wing thingamajig just got to coordinate the wings opening up blindly

Old 07-23-2014, 09:39 PM  
slownsteady
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 187 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 243

Quote:
I would trust those guys with my life......oh wait....I already do.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:06 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

Liked 398 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 130

Last year at Cedar Point waiting in 2 hour long lines I wasn’t as concerned with the fasteners as the hydraulic lines.

Quick Reply