27" interior door?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papakevin

Reaction score
Forgive the basic post, but in not much on finished carpentry work. Purchased a house and I have a unique situation and I'm seeking some assistance.

In the new house, there is no door between the master bedroom and master bath and the opening measures 27". All the door frames in the house has unique molding, so I'm not looking to year them out or replace the framing. I purchased a pre drilled six 28" panel door (I hate drilling in door knobs) and figured I'd cut an inch off the back, but ended up cutting off the 1x1 in the hollow door which the hinges would mount to, so that didn't work out. Was thinking I could glue and clamp another one back in, but not sure that will work.

Is my best option to buy another 28" door and use a planer to equally take down both sides? Should I buy a 26" door and build up the sides of the frame with 1/2" plywood? Other thoughts?

If it wasn't for the special molding in the house, I would just purchase a pre hung door and call it a day.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

Unless you trim both sides 1/2", your six panels will look lopsided.

Trying to trim both sides..with a planer.....how square do you thing that door would end up? Getting a prehung, even though the trim won't match the rest of the house, is probably your best bet.
You can get one without attached trim, or just pull it off, then try to match it as best you can with the rest of the house. Given that it's a MB, how much of an esthetic issue would it really be if it wasn't exactly like the casings in the rest of your house?

I would buy the wider door and take equal amounts off each side. .5 inch is a bit much to take off that way. I would use table saw or skill saw with rip fence. Then belt sand or sand by hand. Anything under 27 will start to feel tight walking thru. One thought is to use a self centering spring hinges and you won't have to drill for latches etc into your trim. The door could swing both ways and always stay shut. Just a thought for a bath attached to a master.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

The door knob hardware has to accommodate the door edge to hole center distance.

You might have to take a peak under the trim to find out the rough opening dimensions. With a little luck the rough is a standard number. Then with a little TLC, you might be able to re-use the trim or match it.

Find a good door supplier and have them modify the door, to take that much off both sides, the solid wood on both sides sould be removed and re-installed deeper so the hardwear has something to screw to.

Latest posts

Back