Need suggestions for basement flooring.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plywood or anything organic will enviably get moldy down there. That is why i say use the Delta and then something like vinyl, you can put a layer of foam down too. Anything inorganic. If your basement is really dry then you can put the Delta then a layer of plastic and then the foam sheet and then plywood.

Plywood or anything organic will enviably get moldy down there. That is why i say use the Delta and then something like vinyl, you can put a layer of foam down too. Anything inorganic. If your basement is really dry then you can put the Delta then a layer of plastic and then the foam sheet and then plywood.

If you have moisture, mold will grow under the plastic.

Yes you are right. I just noticed this other day. Mold can grow on foam and plastic no problem. But less likely and you can wash and reuse. Simply solution leave it open and use a fan and wash it now and then. Throw down a cheap mat. Maybe a metal floor and power wash it?
China_Floor_Steel_Grating20111111704492.jpg

Last edited:
For basement applications a fully adhered vinyl plank would work out nicely. Highly durable, resistant to moisture, and they have a wide selection of styles to meet your decor objectives. I have specified these floors in many commercial applications with great success. They are relatively easy to install, but can be pricey.

Armstrong has a good product and wide selection: http://www.armstrong.com/flooring/products/luxury-vinyl/plank-3-4-3-4-in/_/N-6uxZ6xu

Mike

Going to bring back this post. I've narrowed it down to vinyl flooring installed directly over the concrete. Walked into home depot yesterday to take a look at my options and they had the vinyl interlocking, adhered floating floor vinyl plank, and the sticky tiles (with or without grout). I'm doing a small area so cost is not a huge issue (cheaper is still better though). But durability, warmth, ease of maintenance, and ease of installation are. Is there a general notion of which one of these floors is better or is it a pick one you can't go wrong solution?

I've read reviews on the planks and interlocking and there seems to be alot of mixed opinions.

Here's the 10¢ summary from what I have read:
•Free-floating floors need to have a gap around the perimeter to allow them to breathe (shrink & expand with temp changes). if your basement gets a lot of sun the vinyl can expand quite a bit.
• the vinyl planks with the "grip-strips" have been known to separate at the joints. Best answer to this is they have to be rolled with a 100lb roller after installation
• the "click-together" planks have to be laid on a nearly-perfectly-flat floor, or they will separate. the good thing about these is that they can be reattached as long as the rib doesn't break off, and you don't have to rip up the whole floor to repair a bad plank.
• Sheet vinyl is a good choice in a small area, but is a tough DIY project on a large or complicated floor.

The only problem I had laying glued down sheet vinyl on a large concrete floor was the notched trowel I was using wore down against the concrete and the notches got smaller with no time to run for a new one.

A solid sheet vinyl like IVC is very DIY friendly.

Yeah, I was just thinking about nooks & crannies and closets and other cutouts and trims.
Then there is also a seam to consider if the room is bigger than 12x12

IVC vinyl is 13' 3" wide.

Thanks for all the replies. It's for a hallway so there would be a seam if I went wither sheet. From what I've read there's been alot of negative reviews towards the floating vinyl floors. Which makes me lean towards the sticky tiles.

Daltonbrain were you referring to sticky tiles when you said a fully adhered plank floor?

Has anyone else had positive or negative experiences with these tiles?

Yeah, I was just thinking about nooks & crannies and closets and other cutouts and trims.
Then there is also a seam to consider if the room is bigger than 12x12

You can make a template for the floor by taping heavy paper together to cover the whole floor to fit all the nook and crannies and then lay the template on top of the sheet and cut it out, perfect fit.

Back