cement to brick sealing

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justacook

Reaction score
Hello peoples,
could use a little advice again. Working on a house with a cement basement/foundation which holds up the brick house. The south side of this house gets major abuse from the rain in the winter and water appears to be getting threw the structure at this point. The house basement was recently sheet rocked and the owner wants no damage from the rain water. Yes once again I fear the cart is ahead of the horse...Is there a sealer or some type of flashing that may help solve this problem from the out side? You guys have always been great with your help and advice. so thanks
The Cook

Picture of the are may help, but the brick should be sealed, with something that will stop the rain but allow the vapour out of the brick. Brick will absorb water and transport thru to the inside. there should be weep holes at or near the bottom of the brick to allow water to get out.

Thank you SO MUCH Sir, for your time and answer, I think after I run just this much information by the man paying the bills, that he may rethink about what he wants done, or at least do some research on his own into what he thinks is a problem.
I have learned a few things about brick structures over the past few days, the biggest one is there is allot to maintain, just like any other building, if you hope to have it looking nice and still standing in 50 years.
Thanks again, you guys are the greatest!!!!
The Cook
P.S. Dad always said "No matter how simple it may seam, always read the instructions first, it will save you time in the long."

Back