Can't turn off water to replace kitchen faucet

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zebrafish

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have the normal deal under the kitchen sink with two valves to turn, to turn off the water. I turned both slowly and carefully to the right, all the way, and did not force them. The water doesn't turn off.

I really hope I don't have to go turn the water off outside, because it will affect four other condos if I do. I don't see any other mechanism by which to turn off the water coming to the kitchen faucet.

Help!

Check near the water heater, that would be my best guess from here.When you turned the valves to the stops, did it slow the water flow any?

Hi Oldognewtrick, it did not slow the water flow at all

I do have my own hot water tank. I will take a look,
but have to go kill some black widows to get in there,
ugh.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Hi Oldognewtrick, it did not slow the water flow at all

I do have my own hot water tank. I will take a look,
but have to go kill some black widows to get in there,ugh.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Wll, if nothing else, this needs to be done.

If you find out where to turn off the water, before you take the faucet out, get 2 new replacement valves.

sounds like the handles are turning but not the core of the valve.
remove the handles and turn the valve core with some channel locks or vice grips.

Top of the list is to find that main water valve. After that, It is the best time to repair the stop valves under the sink. I was lucky recently in not having to replace the whole valve, which was sweated in. I just loosened the front cap and replaced the stem. I probably could have just replaced the washer if I had one.

After you solve the valves, you can turn the water back on so that the toilets flush and people can use other sinks in the unit.

Hi all,

I turned both slowly and carefully to the right, all the way, and did not force them. The water doesn't turn off.

Help!

I hate to ask the obvious but, did you turn them all the way to the left also?

After you're sure that the water is turned off, you can open the valve by loosening the nut labeled with the red A

The washer labeled B is probably cracked and may even be missing. Replace that washer and the stop valve will work properly.

stop valve.jpg

Hi, yes I did turn the valves all the way to the left, and that didn't work either. Ok, I found the lever that turns off the water, by the hot water heater. Can I just turn it off, or do I have to worry about turning the water heater off too? I'm thinking not, since obviously there won't be any water heating going on while the water is off.

Leave it on no worries. You go away for days and no water flows in. It should only be an hour or two to repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

The water heater is electric. It's on the same floor - it's in a closet just off the patio.

shouldn't matter. If there's no call for heat, it won't fire up. And if the temp of the standby water calls for heat,...that's normal.

Last edited:
shouldn't matter. If there's no call for heat, it won't fire up. And if the temp of the standby water calls for heat,...that's normal.

Turn off the main and the inlet valve on the tank or when you open it up it could drain the tank down to the level of the valves you are working on.

I can't turn off the valve on the water heater either. I attached
a photo of the valve.

I can't budge it.

001.jpg

I tried turning it both right and left, and it won't budge, either way.

Back