Bathroom Surround (Wall)

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

checkin

Reaction score
Has anyone installed a wall surround over tile? (not the tub)
The sales staff at the big box stores dont know much about them, the manuf. emails go unanswered.
Most say they have never tryed it, some say, I dont see why not, with the right adhesive, I dont want to waste the time & energy, only to have it peel off the wall, some are made for new construction only over the studs.

I havn't looked at them in years but the 3 peice one I installed and then pulled out two weeks later was a joke and the one that goes to studs wasn't on the market then, but I think I would lean that way. That would be more like a two peice tub that we see from time to time. The only concern I would have is matching colour, white is not always white.
If you have had leaking tile, removing everything would allow things to dry out and you can address other problems that might be found there.

If you are thinking of going with shower panels you will definitely NOT want to go over the existing tile. Remove your existing tile and backer board (sheetrock or concrete board) all the way down to the studs. You will then go back in with new 1/2" sheetrock and install your new panels to that. The reasons you want to do that is for several reasons. A. You want to make sure you are not covering up a problem - just remove it. B. Installing another layer of paneling over an existing surround may not bond well C. Your panels install to sheetrock instead of studs because your tub has a tile flange that sit behind the panels.

Latest posts

Back