Blown insulation without a machine, good idea?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gottodo1

Reaction score
Okay, VICTORY The attic is DONE before winter, THIS ROCKS! BUT as I was raking the insulation back into place I noticed apparently some of my insulation disappeared (Lots of low spots that I probably didn't notice before). I live in ND so I figure a good 30' of insulation would be great for the -40 degree winters. I have a big opening in the roof to get into the attic and I'm cheap (At this point). I'd like to put 3 or 4 bags of insulation into the attic in those low spots. I don't want to rent a machine for that. I saw this [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9U2YtY9cXk"]video[/ame]... I have to say I'm pretty tempted to do this on top of the pink blown insulation. What say you experts?

I think the stuff he's using in the video is this stuff Is this the best/right stuff to use, is the pink stuff better?

I just called home depot and for $5.99 a bag if I buy 20 bags I can use their blower for free...Ginger was kind enough to point out I can use as much as I need and then return the extra.... She's one smart lady.... Well I think this sounds like a win win situation, right? I assume this would be better than a leaf vacuum mixed stuff? Is this gray stuff as good as the pink stuff I have now? The pink stuff was gray before I started mixing it up so it'll all look the same in a few years anyway.

I just used this calc and my insulation ranges from almost 15" thick for R54 to ~8" in the low spots for R28. with about 3 or 4 bags I should be able to make it all at least R39, Is there any reason besides it's kind of absurd not to fill the entire attic with blow? I live in ND so would R60 be useful everywhere for maybe $100? If I understand right if I have R30 everywhere and then bump it to R60 my cost to heat should cut in almost half (all things equal and awesome).

Last edited:
Read between the lines, "Ginger" gave you the magic formula. And, NO, doubling the insulation will probably not cut your energy cost in half. There are a lot more factors than just insulation in the ceiling.

I did take Ginger's advice. She was really nice, even offered to come help me blow it in... Lol wife would have loved that one ;). put up 7 bags to even it all out, went pretty easy, only about an hour.

If you installed the cellulose over pink insulation, you may have compressed the pink insulation with the density of the blown insulation.

You can do this with your shopvac/dura vac. Put the cellulose in the bin and then attach the hose to the air out. Better yet get a big plastic bin and attach the top vac part with tape.

Back