Stink bugs

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newtda

Reaction score
Like everyone else we have the invasion of the stink bugs. If you have suggestions to killing them or keeping them away from the house please let me know

Here in the north east the fall is the time of year that they look to coming inside to escape the winter season before the leaves fall in the burbs. After a terrible infestation a few years ago I figured them out and deal with them for a short period each fall, less and less. They are smart. They hang around entrances and will fly to and land on you unknowingly to get inside. I have lots of windows and those near the trees are the ones they try first. I think they send scouters out, if they don't return they go to my neighbors houses. I make sure they don't return. They have hard shells almost impenetrable to protect them. I keep a spray bottle mixture of vinegar, blue dawn dish detergent and water nearby. Spraying their shells does very little unless they crawl in the puddle of soap and get it underneath their body armor. When they land on the window or door screens I spray them on their underbellies where they are most vulnerable to suffocate them. It takes a while and I don't need to smash them to release the stink but it stops them from flying with the soapy stuff. They don't make it back to the nest or trees to tell their friends and after awhile they stop coming here, at least. :nono::)

There are many ways to get rid of stink bugs. One can use traps to kill them. Seal off any cracks in the doors or windows to your house, Keep your blinds shut at night, Use a bug light zapper near your home. If these methods do not help, one can also take help of some professional pest controllers which one can find by looking for them online.

I would try food grade diamatceous earth .It dries the bug out and kills it.Its a white powder so it can be a bit messy. I combine mine with corn meal and sprinkle it around area where bugs might be.Be sure to use Food grade as it is non toxic to pets etc.Its fairly inexpensive and can be bought at feed or hardware stores. A little goes a long way plus it has a multitude of uses.

Back