Antique Kelvinator

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently acquired a 1937 Kelvinator refrigerator. It belonged to my grandparents. I have 2 questions:

(1) Would this model still use ammonia vs freon for cooling? Or was everything switched to freon by 1937?

(2) Where could I locate a repair/parts manual for this?

Any help is appreciated!

Also the amc-list.com site (which is American Motors cars and Nash/Kelvinator enthusiasts)

Thanks for the feedback!

Unfortunately, there isn't a tag or label anywhere on the exterior of the refrigerator. I am going to have to remove the back panel to see if there is anything there.

I will also check out the recommended website.........................

Unfortunately, there isn't a tag or label anywhere on the exterior of the refrigerator. I am going to have to remove the back panel to see if there is anything there.

Nothing behind that lower front drawer panal?

jeff.

Just brought it home today out of storage. Much better to have it in front of me instead of going off of memory.

Yes there is this behind the lower drawer:

R6R 1125832 A1741V. The A1741V is separate from the first set of numbers.

Looking at it, my guess is that it is an ammonia system. Surprisingly, the tubing looks great. No rust, corrosion, etc anywhere that I can see. It also works fine.

Now for the fun part. Locating parts for it. New door gasket and handle would make a good start :)

Suggestions?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back