Tight windows & doors after kitchen remodelling

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goalie35

Reaction score
Our home is 44 years old. We purchased it back in March of this year. At the time, we noticed a few possible structural issues, so we called out a structural engineer. He performed a full inspection of the house & determined there was some shifting that occurred but it had taken place a while ago, most likely decades ago when the house was settling.

Our contractor just completed our kitchen remodel. The wall between our kitchen & dining room was removed (non-load bearing wall) to create a larger kitchen. Cabinetry replaced, new flooring, etc. Now however, we've noticed some of the windows are a little tighter when opening than before. Also, some of our doors are now tight as well, rubbing against the trim. One door, nearly doesn't close. In particular, our 2nd story windows & doors. No new cracks anywhere though, which is good.

So I was just curious, is this normal after a large renovation project like this or something to be expected? Should I call out a structural engineer again to make sure or am I worrying too much about it?

Thanks

How much new paint was added to these doors and windows. This is also another culprit.

Did the engineer say this was a non load bearing wall.
Yeah, he said this was non-load bearing

Humidity could have the same impact.
I suppose humidity may have played a part but it's odd that this happened right after the re-model

Look for things that are out of square, like the door rubbing on the top frame and look for new rub marks, that would be bad news. Other than that, as mentioned drywall filler, paint tile glue or morter and grout all add moisture to the building and time will fix that.

There is always a chance that you added heavier material like granit and an island and bigger fridge and stove on a floor that wasn't structured for the extra weight. :mad:

I think this is a case of assumed cause and effect. If you had told us your house was 44 years old and you had lived there for 44 years and after the remodel things are sticking that never stuck before then I would think the remodel had something to do with it. Actually if you think about it everything that could go wrong in your house happened right after the kitchen remodel.
I have two doors that work fine all summer and as soon as fall comes they start to stick. Our attic door will pop open all summer on its own and now it’s so tight I can hardly get it closed.

If I had to take a wild guess I would say its normal changes in the house and maybe compounded by the last owner fixing the place up before the sale with maybe painting in the winter when it was dry and stuff swelled up with the weather change.

I wouldn’t worry about it you might have to sand down a few spots is all.

Latest posts

Back