Return air

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tractng

Reaction score
Hello,

Just making sure it would not cause a negative effect raising the vents. I want to raise the (two inches higher) vents of the return air so I can put a larger baseboard. See pic

Thanks,
TT

vents.jpg

I don’t think it will hurt a thing. What is your plan for raising them?

I don’t think it will hurt a thing. What is your plan for raising them?

The original baseboard was 1.5". I want to put 3.25" for the new one. Plan is to cut above drywall. For bottom, I just might fill the drywall from the piece I cut above (place a block behind it first).

Thanks.

Is there tin ductwork behind the grill?

Is there tin ductwork behind the grill?

Cold air returns usually just open into the cavity, He may find a 2x4 above if they cut a stud or just blocking for firestop, he can just remove whatever is there and add blocks back in.

Cold air returns usually just open into the cavity, He may find a 2x4 above if they cut a stud or just blocking for firestop, he can just remove whatever is there and add blocks back in.

I have to check out more new houses I guess. In my old places they are still in the floor and lined in steel.

I hate to say it but I think I would have cut out the trim too. Uggggg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

Now the close the cavity below with some stuff that looks like silver cardboard and cut out the plate and floor for these vents, Yeas ago that card board was metal but they have been doing that way since the fifties that I know about.
What it like is when you frame the hole with 3/4' x 2" stock and the frame that with the base board. If I can find a photo I will post it.

Now the clost the cavity below with some stuff that looks like silver cardboard and cut out the plate and floor for these vents, Yeas ago that card board was metal but they have been doing that way since the fifties that I know about.

1850's ?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

found a pic.

Looks too busy. I believe mine is just open space once the vent is removed (the furnace, etc is above). Year built is 1962. Same setup as my old house.

I might get a dremel and cut the baseboard down.

It is what you like that counts in your house. I have baseboard heat and just butted the molding into them, not because I like it but I was to lazy to do much else and years later, today I looked at them and thought Ya I could have done more but who cares.

what is the width of those grills ? 24" ? so 2x24=48 x2 grills =96sq inchs of return air you are loosing

minus. the width of the edge of the grill /frame - 48=48 sq of lost return air . go for it

Back