Stains keep appearing in drywall

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terry47

Reaction score
When our electricity went off during a storm a few years ago, we boiled some pots of water to warm the air in the house. Then I noticed (in a few rooms) some areas on outside walls near the ceiling that looked like water was leaking. I figured it was condensation so I immediately quit boiling the water. Now it is years later but when I paint over these areas they eventually show through the new paint. Why is this happening?

Try sealing the areas with ZILZ and spot re-painting. You seem to be getting some bleed through of some kind.

KILZ.jpg

Try sealing the areas with ZILZ and spot re-painting. You seem to be getting some bleed through of some kind.

This^. KILZ, BIN, Cover Stain, or any other stain supressing primer that is NOT water based will do fine. Apply one solid coat, allow to dry as per package directions, then top coat.

And make sure the insulation and any vapor barrier- if required is intact as that may be the problem; cold drywall + warm moisture= wet spots, especially at the exterior wall/ceiling interface. Gary

Latest posts

Back