Anyone knows how to make patio glass door?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnv713

Reaction score
I get strong gust of winds from the side of my patio. Would like to make one to block off winds. Don't see why a cheapskate like myself would dish out a bus load of dough for one :trophy: I made screen door in the past but not a patio door. Anyone wants to help this tightwad ?

It all depends on the tools you own? Tablesaw,router,shaper,planer?And your experience with them?

Howdy guys

The right side of my patio is where Im building an outdoor kitchen but the winter draft is a PITA. One patio is suffice but in the future I may need another one attached in a 90 degree angle to completely seal off that area.

I got Miter saw,table saw, jig, hammer drill, elec drill. Built a saloon door and screen door not too long ago. Not going to lie but most of you on here are probably better handy man than me. But I did sleep at Holiday Inn Express last night :)

More than a few years ago, a friend picked up 2 sliding glass doors when everyone was installing double glazed units and used single glass ones where everywhere.
He found two that opened in opposite direction and removed the section of the frames where the doors locked to. He installed them so the doors met when they where closed and could open for an opening of near 6 ft.
This was to close in the front of a leanto that he kept his riding lawnmower in. He claimed at the time the most expensive part of the job was the new hacksaw he had to buy.

My first choice was a sliding door but that looks way out of my skillset and pocket book. So I'm now wanting to make a typical door but it doesn't have to be double glazed or super sturdy as it will go under a roof that extends out about a foot or two.

Let's work up your parameters. It's outdoors, it's inexpensive, weather resistant, freestanding?, transparent or opaque?, dimensions?, permanent? mounting on?

72"H x 60" is the dimension. There,s a post and sidewall I can mount it on to or I can build frame for additional support if need be. weather proof on the exterior would suffice. Transparent for maximum natural light is what I'm aiming for.

Where can find glass with the mentioned size? HD and lowes don't carry large pane. And what's a fair price? Thanks!

You should start with construction recyclers. You should be able to find an old slider to re-purpose. Even just a couple of old glass doors. Just buying sheets of glass probably isn't the best way because you should use safety glass. You could get it at any glass company.
You should also consider plastic corrugated roof panels from HD. They're pretty inexpensive. Get the clear ones and mount them vertically in a frame.

I looked at corrugated panel but not too fond of the hills and valleys on them. Construction recycler is a great idea. IF I can find one here. Thanks

johnv, where are you located? i have a 30" glass/screen storm door brown? in color

it is on my porch, i want just a plane jane screen door.

if your close. you buy me a $79.00 wood screen door, this $400.00 storm is yours

all depends on your location..shipping is out, cost to much

Last edited:
Darn it. Thanks for the offer though. Guess I'm tackling this project head on this weekend.

Instead of glass have you thought of mirrors? Keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

Mirror? Errrrr I'm trying to let light in not keep em out:)

Back