gfi?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garbert

Reaction score
will a gfi receptacle trip if the load wires going out are reversed?

Don't know, never wired one up in reverse and don't know why anyone would.
Good question.

If you mean the black and white are reversed then it won't know. If you mean the line and load connection are reversed then some of them will know and not reset.

I did rewire it, just wondered if it should have tripped. black and white were reversed

I did rewire it, just wondered if it should have tripped. black and white were reversed

Even the newer GFCIs that have wiring fault detection built in would not detect a reversing of the load side conductors. If the line side conductors were reversed then the newer type would not close until the reversal was corrected.

--
Tom

Nope, it would not have tripped. However, in the future, do it right the first time. :D I mean, how hard is it ? Black to black, white to white, ground is typically bare copper.

One of the skills for electrical (and life) is attention to detail and checking your work. I have wired hot to neutral by mistake initially ... but caught myself and made the correction before energizing the circuit.

Keep at it, you'll remember this little event as a 'teaching moment."

Latest posts

Back