concrete piers/info

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

floatr

Reaction score
Im having 6 concrete piers poured ,holes already there,and wanted to know if $25 an hour is a good rate .I have the supplies.
Also is anything i need to be sure to get done or supply for it before hand like tubes,steel rods,gravel etc / and tips to look out for as the work is done .
Any info is appreciated

What you need depends on what you are using the piers for.
If your building a house you want footings at the bottom to spread the load to a bigger foot print. Then you would use a tube as a form for the concrete.
If you are building something like a deck, just a hole will usually do. If the hole is huge you an use a tube but then you have to be carefull to hold it straight when you back fill the hole.
Best is to just fill the hole with concrete. and hopefully you have the holes deeper than the required frost depth in your area.
You do not want the concrete to flair out at the top of the hole as frost can grab that and force it up. If you would like to have the piers a little above the ground you can use short peices of tube and push them into the concrete when you are a few inches from the surface. Have a plan so they all come up level with each other.
It's always a good idea to have a length of rebar in a pier, just make sure it is cover by 2 inches of concrete, you can place them after the concrete but soon after before things get a little hard,
You may want to install saddles for the size of the posts or timber you will be using but the must be hot dipped galvinezed.

if you're asking such basic questions, just make certain you hired the right guy,,, none of us know who the rate's good for - you, him, or both,,, btw, how many holes ? can't imagine anyone decent driving to pour 3 holes for $ 100 but that's just me,,,,,,,,:2cents:

as i stated there will be 6.its for a deck.what about the gravel- about 3 inches? pier will be about 4 inches above ground and the supports made to go into the concrete will be used-wavy bottom .
for the 8 inch tubes will i need 3 pieces of rebar per pier and do the tubes go down as far as the gravel?

thanks

Last edited:
suggest 57 stone rather'n gravel & yes, rebar can sit on the gravel if need be

Thanks but I thought it was best to go as far into ground with tube to help also with blocking moisture from sides..
We have had a lot of rain an ground is moist ,is this good for it or will it not be good ,the holes were open when it rained ,off an on all week an it will be heavy the day before i planned on pouring them.
Appreciate the info.

As long as there is no water sitting in the hole, Wet sides won't hurt anything. If the tube fit tight in the hole fine, keep the tube about 8 inces off the bottom for a bigger footing but if it is loose in the hole yopu will have to brace and wedge it in place until you have the hole backfilled, that's why I fill the hole and use the tube just at the top, the dirt holds everything in place.

Back