Light fixture water leak

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carterman32

Reaction score
I did something terribly stupid today. I left my upstairs bathroom sink running for about 30 minutes with the stopper in. The water in the sink overflowed and must've snuck under the tile floor, under the vanity. On the floor below, water leaked through the lighting fixture, but nowhere else (e.g. The bare ceiling). Not sure why it only leaked through the fixture when the area of the upstairs flooding was probably 4 ft wide and two feet deep.

Anyway, the leak stopped about ten minutes after I turned off the water and cleaned up the mess. But now I have a question....

Do I need to worry about mold since it only leaked through the fixture?

If so, what do I need to do? Call a moisture guy? Do I need the area to dry out first?

No worries yet. Since this was a one time deal, just think of it as you just rinsed off the inside of the void. Mold needs a continuous source to really survive. You should be fine.
If for some far off reason you start to smell something funky, then you may want to do some investigation, but from my experience, it's not an issue.
Good luck, let it dry out, it's winter so that helps with the heat being on.

And I'm sure inspector wanted to say that the water only leaked in one spot because it was the lowest spot on the ceiling with a hole to let the water through.

And I'm sure inspector wanted to say that the water only leaked in one spot because it was the lowest spot on the ceiling with a hole to let the water through.

I did... I did want to say that.. however it was answered "before" coffee was distributed to my brain evenly.:help:

It only leaked through the fixture because that was one path of least resistance. The question is how much water actually overflowed out of your sink. Was the faucet just trickling for 30 minutes or was it full throttle for 30 minutes?
If you poured 20 gallons on the floor and 2 cups worth leaked out of the fixture, the rest went somewhere. You may find some stains appearing over the next few days as any residual water gets absorbed.
I wouldn't worry about mold....as long as it's a one time thing.

Latest posts

Back