Black gunk

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 4883

Reaction score
I've been having this problem for years now and thought I'd finally try to get some answers.

I've posted pics (warning, this is gross) of the bathroom sink stopper (removed) and the shower tub diverter.

I have this black slim like build up in these areas.
Nothing in the shower head or kitchen sink area so, I'm puzzled here.

I am on city water and the local quarterly water reports show everything is fine and on some days you can even smell a hint of chlorine in the water so I'm thinking it should be okay in terms of bacteria and not necessarily the city's cause.

The black substance is a soft slim, kind of jello / rubbery like.

What is this junk, has anybody ever seen anything like it ? :confused: :help:

plumbing 001.jpg

plumbing 002.jpg

plumbing 003.jpg

plumbing 004.jpg

plumbing 005.jpg

Soap. shampoo, conditioner and all kinds of creams and things people put on themselves along with dead skin cells and bacteria.

I see you also have the slime in your bathtub spout. During certain times of the year, I also receive this and chalk it up to the algae in the reservoirs at my city water supply.

I had this in my tub drain a few times when i first moved in. I'm on a well, so no algae and no city reservoir additives. It would get so thick it would plug the drain. And yes, gross is a good word for it. I don't remember what i did to get rid of it, but it has been gone for many years. Do you have a PVC trap there?

Sink drain is pvc, tub drain is copper.
I noticed some build of it around the aerator in the bathroom sink and worry about consumption of whatever this junk is.
Was going to have it sent to a water lab but, kinda don't want to know at the same time.
Also, a little embarrassed to ask the neighbor if they have this slim also.

Back