rut in yard fix question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgaviator

Reaction score
Hello. The terrain of my front yard slopes off to one side. There is a pretty large rut running alongside my pear tree. It makes it a pain to mow around there. The rut is deep enough that it goes below some of the tree roots. I was wondering what I can do to fix this issue? I have never seen water really flowing that way like a river when it rains, but it would make sense that water will naturally flow this way. Here are some pictures.

tench1.jpg

tench 2.jpg

tench 3.jpg

tench 4.jpg

yard erosion 1.jpg

yard erosion 2.jpg

tree1.jpg

Last edited:
Boy, everything slopes toward the house. For the trench I would just get some fill dirt and just re-shape that area.

Is the house at the downhill end yours or your neighbor's?

It's possible that surface water made the trench or could be that it's some kind of sink-hole/trench where it's following an underground erosion. My first reaction is that is where you place your drain pipe...the trench is already half-dug. You could probably get the cooperation of your neighbor 'cuz he has much to gain if you do it right. Make it a team effort.

Have you dug a little deeper in one spot in the trench to see if there is anything funky underneath it? Soft spots? broken drain pipe?
And have you talked to your neighbor about any problems he may have had or is having?

I have not dug into it. None of my neighbors really talk to each other. My yard feels like a sponge after a rain...not sure if it's a trait of having Bermudgrass or not.

I would want to know more about spongy soil. I think you could feel the difference between a grassy sponginess and and deeper soft-soil thing. You may even want to check a few places around the house. This thread seems to go closely with your other thread about drainage. You should be looking at these two projects together...if you aren't already doing that (which you prolly are!).

A shot in the dark. but that tree that was cut down. it is right in line with the depression.

if it was cut down when the ground was wet. it could be the trees impression when it fell.

241213.gif

Latest posts

Back