How addictive is home repair to you?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnv713

Reaction score
My house is an about 8 years old , brand new when I first bought it. But between taking in homeless animals, work, blowing $ on stupid things, and chasing damsels :banana: I had neglected my house NOT to the point of disarray but enough to have people say "Your house look older than its age" so the last few months I've went postal working on the house and I'm completely hooked. I stopped going out, any left over money go toward projects, constantly looking for things to work on. Anyone else feeling this way or is it just me??

Btw I just wanted to give a shout out to this site. All my posts are answered in the fastest of time and great tips were given. Made a tiny donation as a small token of gratitude. You guys rock!!!!

We are blessed to have a great group of guys who selfesly donate their time and experience helping others. If someone gives some good advise, be sure to give them a "like". And thank you for the donation, it helps keep the lights on here.

No, thank you. Neal, Chris, and many other. Pleasure's all mine.

Lot's of us here that work on houses full time probable have homes that look just like yours before you when into high gear.
Life has a way of leading you down a path you never knew was there because you where to busy to notice.
Found myself saying to my better half "I told you I would fix that 6 months ago why do you keep reminding me" :)

Lol ...Nothing makes me want to plow my car into the back of gas tanker faster than a woman's nagging. I keep, I keed.

Things left to do.

Paint the house with stain blocking paint.
Grind my patio concrete with a grinder to smooth it out.
Build gate to keep my dogs in.
Fix stair.
Replace baseboard throughout.
Finishing up outdoor kitchen.
Daisy chain patio lights.
Build koi pond ( charity work)

It never ends but I'm fighting one battle at a time.

And a big thank you Joe for your inputs in my other threads.

It's easy to get caught up in the projects. I spent a few years working on my previous house. Work my regular job then on my house nights and weekends. My customers used to kid me about it when I turn up with bandaged finger or cut knuckle...Been working on your house again I see...ha.
The down side was my motorcycle sat in the shed, my golf clubs gathered dust and weekend ski trips never seemed to happen anymore. I didn't want visitors because there was always unfinished projects and tools laying around and any offers of help seemed to take away from my literal interpretation of DIY.
The up side was I made some money when I sold it....then paid cash for a house that needed work. My attitude now on this one is, the house won't run my life. If I don't want to work on it I'm not going to lose any sleep. Frankly, it's much more pleasant to do it on a casual basis, rather than letting it control your life, as most addictions are apt to do.

OMG x 10000000000000. Thats exactly where I'm at right now. I thread getting invited to dinner/function for fear they'll cut into my time working on the house. When I'm out with friends I try to cut things short so I can just leave. I get agitated when people call me on my phone asking what I'm doing, not texting back cuz that would take 10 sec away of my life:)

It's consuming me in a good way then I realized its getting creepy when you know everyone at HD by name. Even get a 10% every time w/o having to apply for credits.

I bought my house in 2006 and am still working in it and it has been a full time job. It is close to done but as soon as I finish something I want to redo something else to make it nicer.

My problem is I also have another house 120 miles away that I am also remodeling at the same time.

I feel ya, Chris. There's always something to tweak here and there. Two pads would totally put me under for sure.

I grew up in the days watching my dad and neighbors and DIY wasn't an option it was more the way of life. When there was some older person down the street that needed helped out with a project someone younger would help them. Most of the time they had helped you years before. Every town had a couple guys that built houses and they just lived in town like everyone else. Looking back I'm pretty sure my parents couldn't afford to hire stuff done, but then again they never borrowed a penny for anything including building the house. So I know I love doing my own work when ever I can but don't know if I'm adducted to it. I just don't know any other way. When I do hire a job done if I watch the work being done it drives me crazy as most of the time I would do it different. So maybe I am addicted.

Yup, those were the days where people were willing to help out other. These days everyone seems so busy making ends meet like they hardly say hi to their neighbors. We're living in different time ,sigh.

It's a sad cycle that we're in. You work hard to afford the things you like, but you're working so hard, you can't maintain them. So you hire someone to maintain them, but that means you just have to work harder to afford the help.

Sad.

I've been downsizing my personal life lately, except adding new kids. Trying to enjoy what I have more than spending every minute off work trying to finish some project.

Sad cycle indeed. Wake up, go to the office, come home, project. Rinse. Repeat. My first few years after college my life as I knew it ceased to exist.

Chris, kids are ultimate project in themselves :)

Latest posts

Back