Footing above natural grade requirements

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tractng

Reaction score
Hello,

I am getting a few quotes from different contractors here in Socal to build a 300 sq. foot family room (15x20). Currently my foundation is on a slab. Our backyard where the addition will be located is slightly higher at the end (the last few feet of 20ft).

Since the law requires 8" of unprotected wood be above natural grade, some contractors told me they get around by pouring the sides at the end of the job :mad:

One contractor told me they have to to raise the footing (I am guessing similar way how a garage is built where the footing is exposed about 4" above the slab? Can somebody in this field elaborate in details if my assumption is wrong. Is there a barrier that can be used instead of raising it?

This link is a good reference as to what I am talking about..

https://www.ci.oceanside.ca.us/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?blobid=22257

TT.

Last edited:
I think he is saying he would do the slab as normal with rebar sticking up and then forming the wall on top of that. We would do a footing and wall and then the slab but I see nothing wrong with what he suggesting. In an earthquake zone I would not consider anything else and would likely have to do it that way for code there.

PS He is raising the foundation wall, not the footing.

My question would be why not use PT lumber?

G:\Customer Handouts\Minimum Construction Specs.pdf Page 1 of 7
These are minimum specifications established
by the California Building Code. These specifications apply in the absence of mor
e restrictive specifications in the approved plans.
I.
FOUNDATION AND UNDERFLOOR

Wood Supported by Exterior Foundation
Walls.
Wood framing members, including wood
sheathing, that rest on exterior foundation
walls and are less than 8 inches (203 mm)
from exposed earth shall be of naturally
durable or preservative-treated wood.
[CBC § 2304.11.2.2]

I left out an important fact. Since I told the contractors I want the addition to have the same level with my current house (no steps into the addition, it has to be even).

Like Nealtw said to raise the foundation wall and shorten the wall studs?

Beachguy, I was thinking the same of using treated wood. I am not in the industry but like to know this stuff. It intrigues me more than the computer field in which I am in :).

Current patio slab before the house (location of proposed addition). The surrounding is mostly concrete with a pool nearby.

patio.jpg

Last edited:
Pressure treated wood or not, all wood should be at least 8" above the grade on the outside. I think the stem wall is your best option.

Back