Renovation Budget

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mazaras22

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm looking to spend $100,000 on a complete fixer-upper. If the house is about 1600 square feet, how far can my renovation go? To be safe lets add in one structural issue. Thanks for any response!

About as far as you can take it, or, until your money runs out....that would be my guess.

With a question like this it's like asking us to guess how long is a string. A lot more info is needed, pics and location helps.

Just a few reasons why no one's going to be able do anything but guess.
No location in your profile. In my area I can get some help for $25.00 an hour, in NY or CA it could be 4 times that.
How much of the repairs are you able to do and what tools and experience do you have?
No clue what this structural issue is.
Will it need all new plumbing, wiring, HVAC, roofing or just a paint job?
Old septic that needs replacing?

It doesn't matter as there is never enough.
My suggestion would be if you got $100,000 to blow which will end up being $150,000 anyway by the time you are done then might as well just buy a good chunk of land and build the whole house from scratch for $225,000 and get it over with.
That way you can do it right from the foundation up, all the best plumbing, the best wiring, double the code for insulation, make it a full Net Zero energy house and it will save you the extra you spent over your lifetime.
All LED lighting.
Top it off with a lifetime metal roof and except for maybe an appliance or two over the next 50 years you should be trouble free and good to go.

Welcome to the site. A lot depends on the meaning of complete, your skill level and the required timeline.

Where's the home located?
What's the sq footage?
How many bedrooms?
How many bathrooms?
Does it need new roof?
Does it need new wiring?
Does it need new plumbing?
Does it need new windows/doors?
What type of flooring do you want to do?
Do you have demolition cost?
Are you gutting the kitchen and baths?
Etc. Etc. Etc.

No one could answer your question unless you give more details. I'm sure if you can many can help give you an estimated cost. :)

I saw this post the other day and chose not to answer for all the above reason but seeing as how there is some interest in such a wide open question I will venture my answer. Without knowing anything except it’s a total gut job with a price tag of 100k and it’s not a huge house with one structural issue. The answer is you can safely spend as much money as a comparable house close by is worth in perfect shape. If the house is on Malibu Beach and the 1600 ft neighbors house just sold for two million I would say don’t spend more than $ 1,900,000. If it is in my neighborhood I would say you overspent by $75,000 oh I forgot the structural issue you over spent by $85,000. :eek:

Welcome to the site, Mazaras. Tough crowd here. We have plumbers, carpenters, electricians, masons etc. and lots of DIY homeowners here but no mind readers. It's best to ask specific questions and we'll be glad to help.

I can say that my house is 1600 sf and I could probably build it completely for 100k but that is me doing it myself with a helper or two not subbing much of anything out. Probably won't get the yard done much though. This is in Southern California.

something you need to know about renovating.

what is a house of comparable size going for in that neighborhood?
that amount is your answer

if you have a house in a 150 k house neighborhood. your house will be worth 150k maybe 165k TOPS

when you are finished with your reno work. It does not matter if you spend 300k
you are in a 150k hood. and that is all you will get for it

labor will eat you alive.
best thing to do, have a plan drawn up, then hire a contractor to build per plan for x amount
any adds will cost you LOTS. stick to the plan.
>>>>>have a time of completion in the contract>>>>>
if it is not in he contract, it does not get done.
accept nothing word of mouth. if it is not in the contract is not going to happen
if he said, I will roof the garage also. but it is not in the contract
he is not going to roof the garage

i repeated myself. you think it might be important? :)

:2cents:

Back