build closet doors for my bedroom

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mulak

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm renovating my bedroom and so far I took out the wallpaper border, repainted the room from light swamp green to blue/greyish colour, took out the floor to ceiling sliding closet doors because the doors are those apartment cheap sliding doors that the previous owner just painted white from that usual brown/bronze colour. Also took out the warped clothing rod and shelf.

I'm planning on building an shelving unit with adjustable shelves from floor to ceiling because I want to put two clothing rods (metal bar/pipe for durability) to get more space to hang my clothes (one at the top and bottom)... it will attach to the shelving unit one side and the other end will be screw to the wall. So my dilemma is that I went to home depot to look for ceiling to wall closet doors and was told that there are no doors that fit my height, they only have 80", 84" and 96" (my floor to ceiling's height is 90"). So I need suggestions on what kind of doors I can do for my closet and what ways I can use to hang them.

I would like to do the floor to ceiling doors because of the two clothing rods. I can reach the clothes easily instead of having to build a fake bulkhead to bring down height in order to fit in the 80" doors which I can only put one bar.

The only material I can use that is big enough is MDF board which is 97" high

Can you guys help me out?

Flat slab hollow doors are fairly simple to cut down to size. If you are going to use them as sliders, the usually roller and track system takes about 4" above the door. You might be better considering 84" doors
And welcome to the site.

I was thinking of doing hinge doors... but the more I realize that it a space consuming when the doors open and possibly future owners of the house may not like it... might have to stick to the sliding doors

I forgot to mention about the metal pipe/rod for the clothes is how can I hang it since I don't have the tool to cut metal to fit or what ways I can hold the pipe/bar because one side is the wall and the other is the MDF shelving unit

This should help a little, notice the shelf hangers also hold the bar they are attached to the back wall so you are more likely to find studs to screw to and if you use a few, no need to go with metal, wood will do the job.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_dUnOZvdPc[/ame]

not comfortable drilling to the back wall because behind it.. is the pipe for the shower... I don't want to hit it

a question regarding to the closet door... is it common for moulding on top of the bottom track for the closet door?

If you're installing bypass doors, there is no bottom track. You may have just a single bracket on the floor in the middle where the two doors overlap, which prevents the doors from swinging out. Your trim is on the top and sides.
If you can't order custom doors you may want to try building your own. Similar to shoji screens. Use some 2x2s or 2x3s and build frames, cover with some interesting fabric and hang as bypass doors.
As for your bar issue. I did a closet and used the coated wire shelving from HD. They have shelving designed to hang clothes on so there is no need for a bar. There is also a metal post that you can use as a support in the middle if needed.

Last edited:
Why not put in a header and get standard size doors? It won't really affect your high clothes bar (unless you are unusually tall).

Take a look at bifold doors, they swing, but only extend halfway out when folded.

You could fasten a "ledger board" to the side walls to support your clothes bar. Notch the boards to fit the clothes bar. Use a length of moulding for a more finished look.

If you're not too concerned about how shiny the bar will be, buy a length of electrical conduit and cut to length instead of paying for a shiny overpriced "clothes bar".

Back