Grading + Drainage + Sidewalk

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atraeger

Reaction score
I am planning on adding fill around the basement / foundation walls of my home to grade away from the house and improve drainage. On one side, there is a concrete sidewalk (see attached photos). The sidewalk is pretty busted up in places. There is about an inch or more of space between the sidewalk and the basement wall where the concrete has pulled away and plants grow. My intention is to just cover up / bury the sidewalk since I don't intend to use it.

My question is: are there any potential issues with drainage if I just cover the concrete with fill and slope away from the house? Would it be better to break up the sidewalk and/or remove it? Just want to make sure I do it right. It would be much easier to just bury the sidewalk and not have to deal with it.

Thanks for any help!

SideOfHouse_8379.jpg

SideOfHouse_8380.jpg

Last edited:
There should be 6 to 8 inches of foundation showing. So if you can remve it and some of the fill below, would be best, Doing that and getting a slope with a level lot can be tricky.
This is often less with a side walk that slopes slightly to carry water away. The foundation will wick water from the ground and need area for that to dissipate to the air
Brick will also absorb water and it is supposed to drain down between the brick and wall to the bottom, Perhaps the paint on yours seals that??
Welcome to the site

Back