DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > Appliances > General Appliance Discussion > Check your dryer duct

Old 01-29-2007, 04:49 PM  
Kerrylib

Default Check your dryer duct

Just a reminder about something we all know about and yet most of us ignore until we have to address it.

Yesterday my wife was complaining to me about the dryer not working very well, requireing things to be cycled multiple times, etc.

Yep you guessed it, the vent line was almost completely clogged w/ lint.

To make a long story short, I trashed all the old line and redid it to make a shorter, cleaner run. Also a happier spouse.

If it's been a while since you hooked up your dryer, it may be worth your while to disconnect the vent line and have a peek.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2007, 11:59 PM  
jeff1
Contractor

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Good tip!!

Venting system cleaned out every 1-2 years and inside the dryer every 2-5 years depending on useage.

Quote:
I trashed all the old line and redid it to make a shorter, cleaner run.
http://www.applianceaid.com/general.html#vent
http://www.applianceaid.com/vent-length.html
Pictured is the dryer before we cleaned it and the danger involved in using the white vinyl venting. If you have the white vinyl venting on your dryer, redo the vent with good pipe and save your self lots of dollars in power savings and maybe even save your life from a burnt house. There are many aluminum semi-rigid, flexible, rigid products that does a good job in venting. Use the white vinyl stuff if you insist, but don't be surprised when problems occur, and don't be surprised if you burn your home down. These folks were lucky!! They were right on the verge of a major fire. Reference model 110.66901690

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Old 01-30-2007, 07:51 AM  
Daryl in Nanoose

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Great post Jeff. Another tip here, use as much solid piping as you can and reduce the amount of 90's you can so the air flows more efficiently and as mentioned find the fastest route out..

[url]http://edhome.shawwebspace.ca/[/url]

Old 01-30-2007, 08:19 AM  
Hube

Very good advice and tips have been given.
I treat a dryer vent the same as any other appliance, they get routine maintenance like clockwork whether they need it or not.Cleaning the dryer pipes is done every 3 months. It takes only approx 20-30 minutes to do a thorough cleaning job.

Old 01-30-2007, 09:14 AM  
Daryl in Nanoose

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Now thats the ticket laddy

[url]http://edhome.shawwebspace.ca/[/url]

Old 01-30-2007, 11:11 AM  
Kerrylib

Hube, I'll bet you are the exception rather than the rule.

Old 01-30-2007, 12:19 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Our dryer is a little over 1 year old and was sticking on 6minutes remaining in the auto dry cycle. I thought of the vent and checked it, found it was fairly clear.
Then I looked at one of Jeff1's websites and found the exact same dryer with a troubleshooting guide. It said clean the vent so I have ordered a special 27" long brush just for that. Thanks for the site, Jeff.
Glenn

Old 01-30-2007, 06:54 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 125 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 319

Default I guess this is along the same subject...

Last week I had the appliance co out to fix my 1 year old dryer.
It would not run at all. So I check everything with the circuit and venting....pound on the start button a couple of times...kick ,bang nothin.

Turns out as I am getting ready to take the back off to look at the insides...i notice the electrical line going into the dryer is stained.
So I had unplugged the dryer before I started to look at the back, but not before the roughhousing...

Low and behold I take off the back cover and the neutral is burned off the connector and the entire area is toast...no longer there.

Moral....
Check your electrical connections to see if they work loose behind the cover....all that banging around you know.

Just My
Made in the

Last edited by inspectorD; 01-30-2007 at 06:54 PM. Reason: moron

Old 01-30-2007, 10:10 PM  
Daryl

As one who cleans Dryer vents for a living, I have another piece of advice for those of you who use fabric softener. Remove the lint screen often and run it under the faucet to make sure water will flow through it. if water will flow then obviously air will too. Then fabric softener will coat the lint screen with an invisible film thus not allowing air to flow through. Clothes don't get dry and you can't figure out why.............A light scrubbing with a little soap will remove it. By the way, that lint screen will only catch 75 to 80 % of the lint in a normal drying situation, Less if it's heavy towels! If you have a gas dryer you definitely don't want to be using the flimsy "slinky" type plastic exhuast hose. That exhaust line has carbon monoxide running through it and if there is any splits or holes in it guess where the monoxide is going!! In your home! Use solid pipe and wrap the joints with aluminum duct tape made for duct work, Not Duct tape! if your lint screen is located in the door then you have an exhaust line running the whole length of the dryer front to back. When you take the exhaust hose loose to clean it turn the dryer around and reach inside that long exhuast line and pull out the lint , you'll be surprised how much will build up in there! After cleaning it out by hand use the shop vac or something similar to vacuum it real good. Ever want to know how much of a hazzard these clogged dryer vents can be just google "dryer fires" sometime.

Last edited by Daryl; 01-30-2007 at 10:12 PM.

Old 01-31-2007, 07:03 AM  
jeff1
Contractor

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
I have another piece of advice for those of you who use fabric softener. Remove the lint screen often and run it under the faucet to make sure water will flow through it. if water will flow then obviously air will too.
Good point!

http://www.applianceaid.com/dryertip4.html

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Quick Reply