Goodman 4ton heatpump condenser fan.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmac44

Reaction score
I have a goodman 4 ton hp only 2yr old,the problem I'm having is the condenser fan motor continues to jump on and off after the unit goes off and the only way to stop it is to shut off the breaker..any ideas..

Could be a few things causing this. You will have to do some investigating with a volt meter to find the problem.
For starters, I would suggest disconnecting the contactor relay coil power and see if it continues to do this.
If so, then you have a bad contactor. If not, then you have erroneous power coming from the air handler controls, up to and including the thermostat. With the coil wires disconnected, notice to see if the fan continues to cycle or if you have 24VAC coming in, over the coil wires. From there, you will have to fall back to the thermostat and disconnect the red wire from the thermostat and see if the fan still acts up.

How do you know that the fan in not just cycling versus coming back on after the system shuts down?

Back