How to replace drop ceiling with drywall?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

o2284200

Reaction score
I was hoping to be able to raise the ceiling a bit but due to plumbing and air ducts, it appears not. That said, after I remove the light, duct vent, drop ceiling panels and metal frame. Correct me, if I'm wrong but I assume my next steps are to:

1) Plan out lights & electrical.
2) Make a new wood frame for the new drywall ceiling like this guy, who sounds like he's using 2x3s...What would you use? [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_QmhB5aDGI[/ame]

The challenge is span and sagging. I would use 2x4 lumber as a bare minimum for that reason depending on the span to be covered. This is not a structural consideration but a support problem. You can also use light weight drywall BUT 16"oc is absolutely necessary or you might experience sagging anyway ... don't skimp on framing.

Almost, you could get away with 2x3, we usually use 2x4, we put pressure blocks between every other joist at the wall so you have more nailing (now mostly metal hangers) as 2x4 or 2x3 don't have enough span load for drywall, where he put the piece on top you add struts up to the floor joists above. This allows you to cut the span by half or thirds.

With the 2x4s 14+ft you want to hang them from the floor above in the center. so line them up with joists above so you can just nail a short block on the side.

The challenge is span and sagging. I would use 2x4 lumber as a bare minimum for that reason depending on the span to be covered. This is not a structural consideration but a support problem. You can also use light weight drywall BUT 16"oc is absolutely necessary or you might experience sagging anyway ... don't skimp on framing.
Thanks!
Hopefully I won't skimp on framing or anything else, for that matter with all of the help! :beer:
As to drywall...This kitchen ceiling has HVAC duct work, plumbing pipes, lighting & 2nd floor living area above it. That said, what type of drywall would ya'll use in this situation?

Last edited:
As to drywall...This kitchen ceiling has HVAC duct work, plumbing pipes, lighting & 2nd floor living area above it. ........

Is all that stuff hanging down below the joists in the ceiling? Very often, a contractor (or homeowner) will not bother to tuck things away if he knows there will be a drop ceiling to cover it. Or do you have another reason to be putting the new ceiling below the drop ceiling? My instinct is to remove the old drop ceiling and see how much height you can keep. With a few adjustments, you may be able to do a traditional drywall ceiling without having to frame out like in the video above.

BTW. the guy in the video is using the metric system.

Yes you could build boxes to cover the hvac, not quit like this guy but you will get the idea.

Drywall, make sure you are not hiding any gas fittings, electrical junction boxes, plumbing valves or cleanouts. In new construction they use fire rated 5/8 drywall. Have you considered insulation or anything for sound proofing.

Are you running the joists for the drywall the 14'7" direction?Either way a 2X2 won't get it.You have been given some good info already but as always,Pics would help.

Here you go...
27551d1393711773-your-thoughts-porcelain-tile-kitchen_001.jpg

This light is to the left of the fridge & desk leading to laundry room & garage.
32115d1400848620-how-remove-light-fixture-kitchen-light.jpg

Here's a couple of shots above panels...The lighting up here is messed up! There are some of those tubes just lying on panels and groups of lights hanging near one another like this...
32117d1400849407-how-patch-holes-drywall-kitchen-drywall-holes.jpg

32118d1400849419-how-patch-holes-drywall-kitchen-drywall-holes2.jpg

Last edited:
Is all that stuff hanging down below the joists in the ceiling? Very often, a contractor (or homeowner) will not bother to tuck things away if he knows there will be a drop ceiling to cover it. Or do you have another reason to be putting the new ceiling below the drop ceiling? My instinct is to remove the old drop ceiling and see how much height you can keep. With a few adjustments, you may be able to do a traditional drywall ceiling without having to frame out like in the video above.

BTW. the guy in the video is using the metric system.
I will be removing the old drop ceiling but as far as getting much height, don't let the above panel pics fool you...I am limited unless I'm ready to move HVAC ducts and cast iron plumbing, which I'm not...I'll be happy, if I can keep the same height.

Yes you could build boxes to cover the hvac, not quit like this guy but you will get the idea...
Yes, I might be able to do this in some areas and gain some height.
Drywall, make sure you are not hiding any gas fittings, electrical junction boxes, plumbing valves or cleanouts. In new construction they use fire rated 5/8 drywall. Have you considered insulation or anything for sound proofing.
There is insulation in between the 1.5"x12" joists.

Are you running the joists for the drywall the 14'7" direction?Either way a 2X2 won't get it.You have been given some good info already but as always,Pics would help.
Have not figured out what direction, yet...
But that being said, if you were also planning to re-face the cabinets, which would you do first...
Replace the drop ceiling or reface the cabinets?

While I can understand your desire to remove a drop ceiling, I'm curious as to your rational for doing it in this instance, especially since you won't be gaining any height.

I get that. My point is, are you doing it just for cosmetics? You said you weren't getting any more height and there were things like plumbing and hvac that you need to box in. I'm questioning if that effort is worth the probable result. Are you better off using the existing framework but just upgrade it.
New more attractive fixtures and tiles. Getting rid of those fluorescent fixtures and lenses and tiles, using a new tile that's more contemporary and small aperture recessed lights.
I'm just pointing out options. While I generally dislike dropped ceilings, there are some that look pretty nice.

Beachguy has a good point. If you're not gaining anything, you might just be creating work for yourself. Pop out the panels, clean up the mess, and put new tiles in. Before you decide, take a trip to the store and see what's available.

All that being said, and after see the pics, you probably want the ceiling to be the same height it is now. Your cabinets etc. are sized for that ceiling.

Back