Light Switch Wiring

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texasman

Reaction score
I was installing a zigbee light switch and it needed all 4 wires connecting to it. Then i noticed there were 3 sets of wires coming into this electrical box that only houses 2 switches. Then looks like one black wire is powering the two switches. Does it make a difference which neutral wire i connect to the new switch? Ive attached some pictures of the wiring. Any input on why its like this i would appreciate any feedback.

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

I don't know about that switch but I can help with the wires
One wire brings the power into the box. A second wire takes the power to another location like another switch or outlet.
The third wire is the switch wire with a normal switch A short black wire (pigtail) would run from the power wire from the group of two black wire. The black of the switch wire goes to the other side of the switch. The white wire would connect to the other two white wires in the back of the box. Unless there are more than one wire in the light box then something else is going on.

So the bare copper wire in the box would be the ground correct? In the new switch i have the black wires in the same locations as the old switch. Then connected one of three bare copper to the ground connection. Also connected one of the 3 white ones to neutral. Does it matter which white i connected since there are three of them? Thanks.

Model number?, let's see if we can find the instructions on line.
Do you know how many wire go into the light box?

http://jascoproducts.com/sites/default/files/product/manuals/45609-Manual-Eng.pdf
Manual::
So you should have had. 2 black wires with a pig tail nutted toghther with the pig tail running to a screw on the side of the switch with two screws.
A single black wire running to the screw on the switch on the same side. Use the screws not the push in at the back.
A bear ground wire running to what should be a green screw.
The three white wires are wired together and you will need a white pigtail to add to that to run to the screw on the other side of the switch.

The white are common and all have to be joined together as well as the one that goes to the switch.
I hope that this helps . good luck You may need a larger nut for the white wires.

Ok i think im confused let me see if i got it. So do the black wires stay the same as they were? Also the switch came with a white pigtail so do i just add that to the existing white wires and plug that into the switch. Also the only way the wires go into the switch are holes in the back that you tighten with the screw. Thanks so much with this.

One last question. My wiring is copper and the jumper is aluminum is that safe to connect to one another? Thanks again.

No replace it with copper. Check the switch to see if it requires al. Hopefull it has all steel parts the the wire will touch.

If the AL wire jumper is assembled into the switch, you might just want to get a new-all copper- switch. You may be able to bypass the jumper if there is a terminal provided. i did not look at the instructions provided, so I am generalizing here.

One last question. My wiring is copper and the jumper is aluminum is that safe to connect to one another? Thanks again.

Important: This switch is rated for and intended to only be used
with copper wire.
The home’s electrical wires may be attached to the screw terminals
or inserted into the holes in the back of the switch enclosure
and clamped in place by tightening the screw terminals. Always
follow the recommended wire strip lengths when making wiring
connections.

With that I did a little more looking.

Make sure you have the right screws. The single wire from the light (black)
goes to terminal marked load the pig tail from the power wire goes to the line screw. Make sure that the white pig tail goes to the right screw as the forth one is for a three way and should remain protected with a warning label from the factory.

Im sorry but im so confused. So i should only have one black line going into the switch.

You need eight inches of a single 14 ga copper wire with a white cover on it. Are you sure they gave you al. or is it tinned with solder, scratch it with a knife and see if it is copper inside.

Im sorry but im so confused. So i should only have one black line going into the switch.

No you have two, but the screws are marked load and line and it is important that you get the right black wire to each. Power is line and light is load.

Frustrating aint it.:hide:

Back