thinking to install barn door in the closet, crazy idea?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gghrt000

Reaction score
During renovation I dumped the old 3 piece closet door in the hallway and associated tracks. It won't work because the washer I purchased protrude from closet space bit too much and interfere with the door close. So I am thinking about installing sliding barn door in that area, here is I put the pic of my closet and web address of the barn door vendor. Do you think it is good idea or have any better design ideas? Thanks.,

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fkcioo415hvk84i/IMG_20140509_005601.jpg?dl=0

http://artisanhardware.com/product-category/barn-door-hardware

Last edited:
So your closet looks from 6 to 8 ft wide. Where will the door be when it is open. If you come out far enough for two door overlaping the will be crowding to door opening at the end of the hall??????
How wide is the closet, how deep is the close?

I would consider using the original track but moving it out a couple of inches. Run a 2x along the hinge side of the door casing on the right side of the opening and frame out the left side to the same amount. Effectively moving the entire opening out a few inches.
Barn doors are nice, but I think a bit much for that space.

that is not going to work.

let me rephrase. you will not like it at all. the door when open will constantly be in the way of the other doors
as soon as you open it, you will nedd into the other room. bad idea.

my opinion

Although I love the look of barn doors, I agree that it will be blocking much of your access in that hallway.

If I were you, I'm build the washer and dryer into a cabinet, with swinging/hinged doors, which would open and tuck away in use. I saw this recently in a magazine, and it had a sharp granite countertop, and looked great.

So your closet looks from 6 to 8 ft wide. Where will the door be when it is open. If you come out far enough for two door overlaping the will be crowding to door opening at the end of the hall??????
How wide is the closet, how deep is the close?
Out of town at this time, will start taking measurement when i get back.

I would consider using the original track but moving it out a couple of inches. Run a 2x along the hinge side of the door casing on the right side of the opening and frame out the left side to the same amount. Effectively moving the entire opening out a few inches.
Barn doors are nice, but I think a bit much for that space.

Original track is gone, plus the edge between carpet and vinyl is also at the old track position therefore it is probably not going to work as part of the washer is over the track. There was no way to push the washer future into the wall because that would crush the hises behind.

that is not going to work.

let me rephrase. you will not like it at all. the door when open will constantly be in the way of the other doors
as soon as you open it, you will nedd into the other room. bad idea.

my opinion
That is the biggest worry, the closet doors slide alongside, since they are thin, for this i was thinking to install just two and slide it around but if so there will always be some openings worth about one door width, and whole area can not be closed altogether.

I was thinking whether it is better to install something that retracts upward. Anything that sliding sideways is not looking good all because damned washer space.

a garage door. yeah boy, that will look good a.jpg

go back with what you had or hang some beads up

000894.jpg

burn incense and play the Greatfull Dead :banana:

Last edited:
How big is the area you are working with? It looks like there is room in there for other stuff you also have stored away. Could you turn the washer and dryer 90 so that they are facing each other and have room in the middle for you to get in between them?

Frodo's sarcasm aside, a large roll-up shade isn't a bad idea. Of course there is no rule that you have to enclose that area in the first place.

Grateful Dead...heh, heh! Maybe you could hire Bertha to do the laundry!

Found some really nice rollup blinds fromIkeas but they are not looking enough 64 inches. Closet measurements are 9'4" x 8', need to find longer ones.

You have room maybe to turn the washer sideways, close the wall in leaving you with a double outswing 30" doors close to this end. Or a single wider pocket door in the center of the closet. Washer and dryer can be set up for facing each other or stackable. Biggest problem is the dryer duct but there is always a way.

You have room maybe to turn the washer sideways, close the wall in leaving you with a double outswing 30" doors close to this end. Or a single wider pocket door in the center of the closet. Washer and dryer can be set up for facing each other or stackable. Biggest problem is the dryer duct but there is always a way.
I was thinking the same thing in post #11, now we know its 36 inches deep. :)

Back