Roof is leaking and not sure why or where

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pokerduder

Reaction score
Hello,

I've uploaded a YT video to help me explain the issue I'm having... [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEXPUotjcDs[/ame]

So I got up this morning and noticed water on my window screen. The odd part though is that the window is located under a porch roof. I have no idea where the water is coming from.

The roof is only 9 years old. We did have our windows replaced about a week ago. I don't think that's the issue though since our roof overhangs. But maybe?

This may have been going on for years are we just never noticed it. With the new windows installed, we were able to see water on the screen and investigate.

Any help or theories would be appreciated.

Thanks a bunch,
lee

First off :welcome: to House Repair Talk!

Now, how old is the roof? Has this ever happened before? What type of roofing material is on the roof, shingle, roll roofing? Has anything changed recently on the roof or wall? Are you noticing any moisture in the ceiling below (inside) or the second story (interior) wall?

I know, a lot of questions....

The roof is 9 years old with 30-year shingles.

This is the first time we've noticed the leak, but we're unsure how long it has been happening. The only thing that has changed is the we had new windows put in.

We don't see any moisture inside the house.

Thanks,
Lee

I don't think this has anything to do with your new windows. You obviously have moisture penetration somewhere on the roof, probably where your overhang meets the house. That is where I would concentrate your efforts.

Did they use the porch roof to work from doing the windows? Is the porch roof shingles also? Looks like there is a ridge of snow on the porch roof at the overhang line. Are you having the same Jan thaw we are having? I’m thinking an ice dam and a couple paths for the backed up water to follow.

Yup, they stepped on the roof to install the windows.

I just remembered, we also had new gutters installed over the summer. Is there any chance we could have water running off the top of the roof, slipping into the underside of the roof, running down to the exterior of the house and dripping down there?

Not sure how much slope there is to the roof. They are dimensional shingles.

I don't think there's enough snow on the roof to create an ice dam scenario. There's only a couple of inches. But here's a pic...

Roof_zps9a09318e.jpg

thanks,
lee

Couple things, exposed nails at the top course of shingle. There should be head wall flashing extending over the nails that tucks up, 3" under the siding. That is to low a slope for shingles, especially dimensional, because of the uneven surface. A pitch of between 2-4/12 can be shingled with a layer of Ice and Water shield underneath. Also, check and see how much over hang you have on the shingles over the gutter. Ideally, there should be drip edge and 1/2" of shingles hanging over the gutter.

It's probably the exposed nail heads. Melting water is probably getting in around them. A temporary fix is to caulk the nail heads with a rubber based caulk. Do this when the shingles are dry.

Whether these are where the leaks originated or not, you need to smother the areas with some Henry's # 208 wet roof repair or similar.

editt.jpg

I have another question... are these new windows full replacements that are installed in the old frames, or was actual siding was removed to install these windows.

No siding was removed. They just replaced the old windows. I don't think it's the windows. The reason we never noticed the problem before is because our old windows didn't have screens. So the water dripping down wasn't noticed.

I'm going to contact the roofing company tomorrow. I supposedly have a 15 year workmanship warranty. What would you suggest I ask them? Or how should I approach the phone call?

Thanks,
Lee

The roof is questionable but this could also be leaky window above the roof or even ice dam on the main roof.
If you havew vinyl soffet under the porch, that could be removed fairly easy for inspection.

If it was rain, I would be more inclined to suspect the windows. Since we see snow load, I'm more inclined to look at ice damming.

Any caulk applied to the exterior of the shingle will only be a temporary repair until proper flashing is installed.

Another thing to look for is evidence of nail holes if the window installer put toe boards to secure a work platform for the window installation. More than once I've seen toe boards nailed through the roof, the board pulled and a hole left that leaks.

A proper window installation would have found any problems that were already there, but the installer wouldn't have made that quick money.

A proper window installation would have found any problems that were already there, but the installer wouldn't have made that quick money.

You wouldn't believe how many calls we get for leaks that turn out to be windows and door that are the source of the water intrusion.

You wouldn't believe how many calls we get for leaks that turn out to be windows and door that are the source of the water intrusion.

There is a lot going on here, I would bet the origanal roof had a flashing so this roof is nail on top of it and in certain coditions you could get an ice dam on that roof, the roof above, is low slope could be having ice dam issues. I don't see a gutter on the upper roof. If there is a hidden gutter that could be leaking or if the water just runs over the edge onto a roof full of snow could cause problem. Might be an old leak in the window area or just a poor installation of the new window or new holes in the roof that you pointed to with toe boards.:mad:

How about a picture of the insulation in this area of the attic. I'm puttin my money on ice damming. The porch bottom rows will never ice dam.. theres no heat underneath it. And with new windows, you could have a better heat path to the ceiling. Where as before the windows leaked the warm air, and the ice dams acted more slowly..
The waster is coming from behind the siding, way up... I don't think this is a porch roof issue. Dont let them sell you something you don't need.

How about a picture of the insulation in this area of the attic. I'm puttin my money on ice damming. The porch bottom rows will never ice dam.. theres no heat underneath it. And with new windows, you could have a better heat path to the ceiling. Where as before the windows leaked the warm air, and the ice dams acted more slowly..
The waster is coming from behind the siding, way up... I don't think this is a porch roof issue. Dont let them sell you something you don't need.

I redo what I was thinking, A pile of snow on the lower roof and a good waterflow off the upper roof, so slush dam on lower roof.

As far as ice dams... there's hardly any snow on the roof. Also, I know that when the roof was put on, they used an ice & water barrier 6 feet from all bottom edges. I'm not saying it isn't possible. But the snow you see in the pic above was only an inch or two.

There is no gutter on the top roof.

I really appreciate everyone's input and help on this. Thank you :)

You said that the water on the screen got your attention but you showed water on the deck and the siding, you never noticed that before?

Back