dishwasher

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nealtw

Contractor retired
Reaction score
Maytag E71195 type 777-0
Lights dimmed for a few weeks and now won't start
Took the door apart and yup I don't know what I am looking at.

Hi,

Never need a Maytag model# like that...get it from the tag on the unit?
http://www.applianceaid.com/model-number.php Some model# helps.

Kitchen lights, lights on the d/w?

Totally dead, no sounds and no lights?
Checked the power where the main power wire enters the d/w?
http://www.applianceaid.com/dishwasher-repair-help.php#dead

jeff.

Checked everywhere that tags should be no model number to be found.
Under it on the floor found a paper with this on it mdb4651awb3
Some of the control lights went dim, now when the start button is pushed. No start and two lights just wink :) while some lights are still bright.
I removed the control panel, no part numbers. The flat strap to the board does have a dark area like it's been over heated.

Have seen this with a faulty circuit board. Replacing it does the job. Watch out, also, for faulty receptacle where it gets power. Have seen bad boards cause receptacle burnout. Replacing both is best insurance. :D

Under it on the floor found a paper with this on it mdb4651awb3

That should be it :)

Check the power coming into the unit, check that the wire nuts are tight and not burnt, check for 120 volts AC. Check for 120 volts AC through the door switches to the board. If all is ok, yes try a new key panel as the best place to start...

Touchpad-and-Control-Panel-6-919806-00708287.jpg
Control panel with touchpad, black

Main-Control-Board-W10218834-01091778.jpg
Control board

jeff.

Thanks Jeff, I will check out the power but the control board scares me. If there isn't a test for that I can't see spending the money for the touch pad on a maybe. If I add the two and add 20% for the Canadain dollar were getting to close to the price of a new one.

Any repairs that are 50% or higher than the cost to replace the unit, we normally recommend the customer put that money into a new one rather than the old one.....JMO!

jeff.

Frustrated. Little to do with multimeter but can do continuity test, nothing no where, hmmm dead battery, run and get knew one, nope. No continuity with the lead. Who knew how hard it was to fix a simple lead. The dish washer now has a smile, I'm expecting to hear laughing any time now.

Well less than overwhelmed about Maytag or Whirlpool or who ever owns them this week.
I may not know much about electronics, I know when I am being had.
Before I spend btween $120 and $220 on a five dollar key board stuck in a big peice of plastic to make it look like I am getting something, I want to find out the the control board is good. The answer is to buy one and then if it dosn't work buy the other for another mountain of money. If I was paying for service calls I just went over what I could get the same machine at Sears new.
So there you have it a perfactly good machine is garbage.
Time to play I figure I might be able to to rig a push button to the board to get it to go.
I found 2 pins that started the machine and soldered a wire to each and put it all back together. With the wires hanging out the front I turned on the power and closed the door, to my serprize it started by itself.
It ran thru the cycles but just kept on going so I waited for it to stop pumping and opened the door. The soap had dispenced, the dishes are clean. Good enough for as long as that lasts.

It says in the instructions to make sure you line up the vent at the top of the door, to bad they were not made to match. If I decide to keep this thing my next chore will be to rig a series of neon lights so I no where it is at. I can't believe there is no one with a test station for the control board. It shouldn't rocket science.

Forget about the dishwasher and just buy some paper plates...when you're done, throw them in the fireplace...no dirty dishes...:clap:

Latest posts

Back