Painting Plastic Tub Surround

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evilcookie007

Reaction score
I have an ancient tub surround that will eventually be replaced with new green board and tile, but in the meantime, I need a quick, inexpensive fix. If I strip the caulking and scrub the surround good, can it be painted? What steps do I need to take, and what type of paint and/or primer would I use? Most information I've found for this online is for a fiberglass surround. TIA!

Unless your willing to spend the money on a marine grade paint (Google Interlux, or Pettit)
By the time you spent all the prep time and money to do this right you could have bought a cheap new enclosure.
FYI for your future project tile should never be installed over any form of drywall in a wet area!!

Paint in a wet environment is bound to fail. Well, unless you use epoxy paint, which is close to bullet proof. I would scrub the entire surface with a green fibre scrubby (no soap) using acetone because it dissolves oils and soap film. You MUST be well ventilated because acetone is toxic in large doses. A note --- acetone dissolves plastic too ... so if your surround is vinyl, you might have problems (so, test it to be sure).

Epoxy paint can be bought in a spray can ... but mask EVERYTHING because the overspray or spray drift will be impossible to remove. Get it done and keep the room well ventilated to clear the mist and cure the paint.

Not sure how long the paint will endure your shower ... but this is the toughest stuff I have used.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001733NJ4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

HOMAX.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What CMV said^. The product used to come as a 2 part that you mixed together just prior to application. It was really tough. That has disappeared from the shelves so I imagine it was regulated out of existence by the EPA. The product shown is the next best. The key is to clean scrupulously and follow package directions to the letter.

Back