Ground

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

load

Reaction score
Have a basic wiring question. What is the purpose of a ground wire (bare copper) if the white wire goes to the same bar in the electrical panel. I am wiring some light fixtures that do not have a dedicated ground screw. There are four screws with each pair connected. Thanks

The white wire is caring current the bare wire is a safety ground that should go to your fixture or junction box etc. If something fails and the power goes to the base of your light fixture path to ground is that bare wire and not you when you grab it. You can get away without it by code if the power leg is a GFIC controlled.

That’s the layman answer the pros will be along to give you the official answer soon.

The reason I asked because this is what I am wiring, Do I Have the wrong type

IMG_0192.jpg

Those fixtures do not require a ground since they are all non-metallic.

If the box in the ceiling is metal then you should screw the bare ground wire to the bottom of the box. If you have one.

Going into plastic box's. One more question, How would I wire in some plugs in between the light fixture. Would it be better if I went with fixtures that have plugs on the fixture

Plugs in fixtures are not the best way to go. What/where is this light being used? If you want a receptacle plus a light, the wiring is simple ... what I am guessing you do not want is a receptacle that gets turned off when the light is turned off.

Can you sketch a basic drawing of the way you want your circuit to operate? A switch for the light and a separate receptacle?

HURRY! We are all sitting at computers waiting for your answer! :D

CONTRACTOR.jpg

Going into plastic box's. One more question, How would I wire in some plugs in between the light fixture. Would it be better if I went with fixtures that have plugs on the fixture
It depends on the location. The keyless fixtures with a receptacle on them are tedious at best. Most places that will use them, barring an attic, will require GFI protection for receptacles.

Where are they going?

Plugs in fixtures are not the best way to go. What/where is this light being used? If you want a receptacle plus a light, the wiring is simple ... what I am guessing you do not want is a receptacle that gets turned off when the light is turned off.

Can you sketch a basic drawing of the way you want your circuit to operate? A switch for the light and a separate receptacle?

HURRY! We are all sitting at computers waiting for your answer! :D

Sorry for the delay. Basement open ceiling. You are correct Pic not the best Thanks

IMG_0196.jpg

Best to run two, one for lights and one for outlets, when you kick a breaker you still have lights.

Arguably one of the worst pics ever submitted on this site. You get some kind of award.

I did what I could with color/contrast enhancement and it is STILL Egyptian. Can you try again using these symbols?

DIY.jpg

Electricblueprintbigrev.jpg

I put together this simplified version of the symbols. This might be helpful. Make sure the wiring connects to each device and draw the lines to indicate wiring.

SYMBOLS 2.jpg

I agree with Neal, one run for the lights and another for the receptacles. The receptacles WILL need GFI protection if this area of the basement will be unfinished.

I agree with Neal, one run for the lights and another for the receptacles. The receptacles WILL need GFI protection if this area of the basement will be unfinished.
Sorry for the delay. Work. Decided to go with the two runs, Made one run ungrounded with lights and a grounded run for receptacle with a GFI box. A little more work but I like this idea best. Thanks for all the reply's and ideas

Sorry for the delay. Work. Decided to go with the two runs, Made one run ungrounded with lights and a grounded run for receptacle with a GFI box. A little more work but I like this idea best. Thanks for all the reply's and ideas

I think we missed something here, I hope the lights still have a ground going to each box Even if you don't use them on those fixtures.:confused:

In the old days on the farm in the barn we used to use those porcelain fixtures now plastic with just two wires like knob and tube and you didn’t even cut the wires you just stripped a spot and put it under the screw head. Looked like car dealer lights. Now every location has a plastic box and wire nuts with a pigtails. Continue the safety ground even if it’s not used for anything.

I think we missed something here, I hope the lights still have a ground going to each box Even if you don't use them on those fixtures.:confused:
Referring to early post, using plastic boxes and plastic fixtures (see pic in post} no ground required according to one poster. These fixtures have no designated ground screw.

The bare ground should run through - intact - for future use if metal fixtures are added to the line. Do you still have the ground wire in the cable? Just tie them together at the jboxes.

All wiring requires a ground for when someone pokes a wire with a nail or cuts it by mistake. I have never seen a box of any kind that does not have a ground screw and a strip of metat to one of the screws that holds the fixture or switch. What was ment here was as that fixture was plastic there was no need for a ground, which will be need when you change to a desent fixture. What wire did you use?

Back