Building a studio apt in garage structure

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ditchmonkey

Reaction score
I have a detached garage that is on a slab foundation. The previous owner added a "craft room" in the rear of the structure by walling it off and adding a floor 6 inches off the concrete. It seems that this floor is just some 2x6's as floor joists with plywood and tiles for the floor. I don't think there is any insulation or ventilation in this floor.

I would like to add a bathroom to this room and make it a guest studio. Regarding plumbing, insulation, and ventilation, I'm wondering if this 6 inches raised off the concrete is going to work out ok. Anyone have experience doing something like this?

The big question is the floor as wood should not be contact with concrete. Done properly the 2x6 would be treated or with raw wood there would be a moisture breack like tar paper or plastic between the two and it should have been leveled.
I would first lay out the bathroom and remove that section of floor including the walls. That would give you access for the plumbing thru the concrete floor and build a level floor for that room. Then if the rest of the floor has to be replaced at a later date the bathroom will not be disturbed. Having that open you will be able to judge the condition of the floor and see what you want to do with the rest of the floor.

Thanks Neal. Pulling up the entire floor wouldn't be that big a deal so I could check on the contact issue. Given that there is only 6 inches of space down there, what would you recommend for insulation and ventilation?

I have done lots of basement suits with out insulation the floor and am living in one now with tile floor. If I was going to do nything I would just use something like http://www.dricore.com/en/aboutus.aspx
That would give you a moisture break and a thermal mass and just use tile or lino in the bathroom and kitchen area.

Can anyone comment on the need for getting a permit for this kind of work? What is the downside of DIY without permits?

Does the city allow suites on your area.
If found after, they can red flag it and tennents move out now and you are on the hook for their expensces.
Permits are required and do insure you are doing things in a safe way. Plumbing and wiring done wrong can be dangerous.

Well, I haven't tried building a studio apartment in a garage but I think it's a great idea! I have a garage and I'm considering to turn it into a studio or something I can use to hang out with my friends. There are great tips and ideas on the internet that may be helpful on your part.

You are talking about a garage conversion and that is NOT allowed in many jurisdictions because it pushes cars onto the street. However, your jurisdiction may allow it. Since it is habitable space, you want to follow all other codes for health & safety.

Adding a bathroom means jackhammering the floor to access the main. Hope you are ready for doing that AND knowing what the requirements are for fall line, size of pipe, type of toilet sweep, routing cold and hot water, installing angle stops, installing a sink and cabinet.

You will also have to provide electrical for lighting and separate electrical for receptacles. Considering a ceiling fan? Plan ahead with wiring (NB-3) and switches to control lights and fan separately. How will you handle HVAC?

Have fun! :D

This thread is a bit old but I helped a neighbor plan for such a conversion for a mother in law apartment. Around here most garages are a couple feet lower than the main house and no need to get out the jackhammer. We raised the garage floor and made a crawl space for all the services to run. Was really pretty simple to tie into the main houses basement systems.

Latest posts

Back