Drafty Doors

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AWD_GS

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a newbie question or if it's been asked before, I've googled it but I prefer first hand info over what I read in an article. Basically when my doors are closed (front door and patio door) I can feel a draft coming through (door jamb at front door and door head at patio door). If I press on the door when it's closed the air flow stops. I assume the door is not making full contact on the weather stripping. What would be the easy/correct way to fix this? Would it be as simple as replacing the weather stripping if the ones on the doors are worn or would I have to move the strike plates to pull the door closer?

If the weather strip appears to be built into the door jam, it is just tucked into a slot and sometimes you can just pry that out a little to tighten it up.

Are they all removable or are some built into the jambs? I don't want to pull something out that I can't put back in

i'll have to take a look and see but i believe my patio doors that go out to the deck that something very similar to that stripping. appreciate the help!

Look inside the hole in the strike plate (what the latch sets into when the door closes) to see if there's a rectangular hole.
It's there so a screw driver can be inserted to bend the tab to hold the door tighter.
No hole then the strike plate can be removed and bent with a pair of plyers.
A picture of the door with it open so we can see what your seeing would be a help.
Any Lowes or Home Depot type store sells aluminum strips with built in bulb seals that can be attached on the outside of the door on the jambs.
Works every time when working on older wooden doors.

thanks joe. i can take a picture tonight of the strike plates.

Joe just ment that most times there is enough room in the hole to move the stricker plate a little to tighten the door when it is closed. His thinking was backward as you would be moving it in and some chisel work might be needed to give it room to move.

Well that was my concern with moving the strike plate is filing out to fit the plate. They do make adjustable strike plates which I would probably entertain if I need to go that route

I have been complaining non adjustable stricke plates all my life so if you have a lead on an adjustable one, post it here,:D

Learned something new today.:)

Your dead bolt looks like it never had a plate, By just installing one should tighten the door when locked.

So you think just a plate for the dead bolt would fix it? Depending on where it's positioned I assume.

Latest posts

Back