Surface Mount Lighting

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashift4

Reaction score
So I had a contractor rebuild my deck and in doing so he re-ran the electric work. Originally he said "buy whatever light you want and I will install it". In the end he's not willing. He instead has a surface mount outlet box attached to the wall and has installed a flood light. I want something decorative, not a flood light. I can't find anything else though, and my contractor is unwilling to help. Can anyone recommend a decorative light that attaches to a surface mounted outlet box? Or an alternative way to run the lights?

The caveat is that I recently redid the siding on my house and don't want to punch any holes in the walls.

Thank you for your help,

Ayal

Have a donut or a square made out of something about 3/4" material with 4' hole to suround the box and provide backing for any light you like. If you have vinyl siding they make a box for that and it is not to late
And welcome to the site.

Look at a website called "Lightcrafters." They are in Texas and hand make their own lighting so no Chinese crap!! I had 2 outlet boxes at the deck area, and when the deck construction was finished, I bought 2 downlighting sconces from these people. They are punched copper with a sun and moon design. I've had them for a number of years and very happy with the them. Very good USA made product.

Thanks so much for your help. In the end we've decided to go with another custom design. The contractor is going to take a light that has some depth to the connection, cut out a slot for the conduit and seal it with caulk. I'm a little concerned about the light cracking over time since we are adding stress by cutting the product. If it doesn't work I'll contact lightcrafters...they have some interesting designs, thanks Big Red.

Nealtw - this was one idea we had too, but thought it would look too clunky on the house. Really looking for a slim unobtrusive look.

Thanks again!

Lightcrafters can even make custom fixtures for problem situations. They are very customer friendly, on top of being a USA manufacturer.

Back