Faux Wood Garage Doors

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LynnJ

Reaction score
I have a house that is boring. The triple garages face the street and are painted white. I'm looking to create more curb appeal. I am looking to either paint the doors a different color or buy new doors. I am leaning to real wood doors. My friend mentioned a cheaper option by hiring a faux painter to paint the doors to look like wood. I have looked into faux painting but it is not cheap. The doors are also not in good shape so I am hesistant to invest into something that I may have to replace soon. One option is wood garage door but wooden doors are too pricy for me. Another option is steel doors with wood grain. I have looked at several options at Home Depot and Lowes but these doors look plasticky to me. Another option is faux wood garage doors like those offered by Clopay Canyon Ridge door and Ranch House Doors Elements Collection faux wood garage door .
They both look good but I have not seen the doors in person except for a small sample piece at Home Depot. Has anyone installed these doors and can they be ordered as a DIY project (self installation)?

No one here knows where you are so it's hard to suggest a good contact.
Need to be contacting a real overhead door company not a box store.
No way would I ever want a real wooden door.
How much money you looking to spend?
Could paint all of them for under $100.00 including all the needed tools.
A quality door would cost 20 times that.
A real door company could have all three installed in 1/2 a day and may only send one person out to do.
A first time DIY may take the whole day to do one and need 2, people.
After the first one it goes faster.

Does the rain get on them? If so, and you plan to stay there, I would look for doors that have horizontal sections made of Hardie cementious material, or an equivalent. Paintable, will last forever. It's such an ideal material (like Hardie siding) I'm sure door builders would have it. I put a board in water for 24 hrs and no swelling.

Good Luck
Steve

You didn't say what your current doors are made of. Color may make all the difference you need. Paint them yourself first; if they come out well, you've saved a bundle. If the come out crappy, you can shop for new doors.

And Welcome to the forum:welcome:

Latest posts

Back