Paying it forward

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nealtw

Contractor retired
Reaction score
Pay it forward is an expression for describing the beneficiary of a good deed repaying it to others instead of to the original benefactor. The concept is old, but the phrase may have been coined by Lily Hardy Hammond in her 1916 book In the Garden of Delight.

Some times people come here needing a whole lot more than advice. For anyone thinking of a way to pay it forward I would suggest having a look at this.
http://www.gofundme.com/lj4qxs?fb_ac...ypes=og.shares

Some of the members who give so much of therir time, have already donated but we need a lot more help.

220 views and nobody has $5 to help some one out, give me a break, I really have to ask myself why I am here helping people.

I got the same reaction on facebook. Don't know how some people don't care.

I wonder if some folks think this is just a scam? If so, how can we prove that this is a real case of need versus want?

220 views and nobody has $5 to help some one out, give me a break, I really have to ask myself why I am here helping people.

Its not about the money, its about the culture.
I help my fellow man right here where I live because it makes the most difference locally. Folks in her area need to step up, and more important, she needs to ask and seek more help from all the advice given. If we just start GO funding folks across the country, they never learn to interact with actual people. The whole story does not sound right to most people, and everyone is leary of scams. This may not be one of those, however, I still believe you start at home.
I have been here over 1o years helping people with their questions and monitoring IF they are getting the right advice. That is how I help. One person at a time.... Sorry you feel you have helped in vain just because folks won't pony up some cash.

I have to agree with inspectorD on this one. I'm also a skeptic and am often reminding my parents to ignore the calls and letters they often get from people and companies seeking donations. So I do likewise, and donate to those I seek out and very rarely to those who seek me out. While I respect your interest in helping out a stranger from who knows where, I still believe that old proverb...A fool and his money are soon parted.

Made a donation, I feel very bad for the owner.

Years ago when my husband and I were living pay check to pay check, we hired a contractor to put in a new septic drain field. It was a complete disaster, then the contractor took off out of the State and no one could locate him. I called the State and they revoked his license, and will never be able to open up under HIS name here again. The State stepped up and paid for the re-do, which involved taking out what the scamming contractor put in, and replacing the correct way… the reason the State paid for it is because it was their inspector that passed the job, and should have never passed the inspection.

I see it from two ways. Yes helping at home is key and definitely a good way to go about it. But I also feel that a couple bucks or cents that you would never even notice gone can really help someone. Just like everyone else I pick and choose who I help financially. I also believe good things come to good people and we can all use a little good in our lives.

I applaud anyone that has given and wishes to give to any cause (and this cause) they feel is worthy of their gift. I also respect anyone’s right to select and give charity anyway they see fit as it’s a deeply personal thing to do. It’s only a gift if it done without requirement.

For those that have given here I only respect you more for doing so. For those that channel their giving in another direction that is deeply personal to them I totally understand that as well and respect freedom to do so.

I appreciate and am grateful to those who have helped, as well as those who have offered advice. I also respect those who don't and have their reasons. I do understand.

I have a hard time exposing myself, it was easier to talk to strangers I have never met than go running to the people around me. When I came here, I was just looking to talk...when Chris made that donation of material, it was unexpected, but that gesture brought so much to me. Yes it's getting my side sealed, but it's more than that...it showed me someone can care. Neal has been beyond supportive openly and in private messages, so please don't be upset with his passion...he just wants to help, he means well and cares about you all here. I have no doubt he wouldn't do the same for anyone here.

Thanks to the people in this forum, I am trying to reach out more locally. I have contacted a friend I grew up with who is much more vocal than I am, and reached out to what resources that Tellebot helped me find...and it's slow, but I'm trying more than before, where I was just giving up. Maybe nothing will come of it, or maybe something...but my point is, I have THIS group to thank for it. You gave me some hope back.

I am sorry if this has caused any friction.

You most definitely have not caused friction. It's my hope that maybe the seed that was planted will grow and bloom with local help and support from your community. It's hard to reach out cross country and make a difference, but Neal, Chris, Mark, FlGirl have started the process. I hope your cause gains traction and maybe, someday, you're in a better position in life. Remember the old saying, how do you eat an elephant? (one bite at a time)

All to often we are bombarded with all the bad things that happen, it's rewarding to see the goodness in folk that don't ask for anything other than lending a hand, giving some advise and offering a place where we can make a positive change.

Nobody is more scapticle about scams as I am.
If we go back and read posts from Applebear we will find that she is not a DIYer but she did come here asking questions and trying to learn something about what she wanted to have done to her house and what she should be looking for in the repairs that she needed done. She was trying to do her homework and did the best she could with the tools she had.

I am really surpized that service clubs or someone are not offering to help people like Applebear get stuff like this done. Our friends the bankers will lend the money and in this case held half the money waiting for some work to be done (good thing) but at some point, they will be asking for the money backi as the work was not done in a timely fashion.
The house was somewhat livible before all this took place but now she need a safe place to live as one side of her house is mostly open to the weather and even when she finds a way to put up house wrap it is still open to the cold, how the winter treating everyone else this year.

If it was not 552 miles form my house I would go do the work for her.My work has been slow this winter so I have the time but not the money.Wish her luck.

I think most of us have the same problem, more time than money.

I love to help people out that are really in need and are worthy if it.Sometimes it does not work out these days for me anyways.
Did a Habitat house here last year.The new owners both (man and wife)came to the house reveal in new cars.Nothing fancy but neither was over a year old while I'm sitting there in my 1995 Ford truck building their new house.Kind of make you think.
They had a family and I still enjoyed helping them out but it does make you think.

Last edited:
Ya, last year the newspaper here was giving a holiday or something for needy family, you could just write in a ask to be on the list. The young couple across from me won it, two trucks new house good jobs. I guess I should have got on the list.
Somertime stories like this one just pull at the heart.

Back