Bathroom tile install

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaustin

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to install tile and I was wanting opinions on how level I should try to get my floors before beginning.

Working with pre 1900s balloon framing with some pretty worn out tongue and groove sub floor. Main issue is an incorrectly done joist cut for the toilet plumbing. No double header or joist hangers. So floors slope towards the toilet. One side is only an 1/8" and the other is 1/2- 3/4" depending on the distance from the cut joist.

They did sister the two adjacent joists but the weight has still transferred the sag about 2 joists on either side. I intent to sister all the joists, but should I redo the sistered joists with the sag in them? The sag starts at the wall and levels out about 18" in.

The other issue it that when they put the basement under the house they didn't level the main center support so both the front and back of the house slope towards the centerline of the house.

We plan on moving in the next 2 or 3 years so I'm not looking to pour money into this place, but I don't want the leveling issue to affect the work I do complete. Is it worth the battle to try and level everything?

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Repair1424639457.222863.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Repair1424638821.785883.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Repair1424639155.908174.jpg

Leveling can be tricky. If you need a permanent support in the basement, some people would cut the concrete and pour a formal footing, with rebar, to support a lally column or screw jack. Most footings need 24"-30" of concrete under the support column (beneath the foundation). Give this footing no less than 14 days to cure with an optimal cure time of 30 days. You are now ready to install the screw jack column and raise your floor permanently.

Snug up the screw jack tightly to the floor joist. Turn it no more than 1/4" inch a day, allowing the house to adjust slowly. Check the movement and the level. Eventually, you will get close to level.

Good luck. :D

In my opinion :2cents:, it seems like a lot of work to install tile flooring especially if your going to be moving in a few years. With issues such as leveling, stiffness of the floor and shifting, I would consider an alternate floor covering; bamboo or something of that nature.

NOOOOOOOOO bamboo is a bad choice where moisture happens. It loses its finish, cups, and generally goes to hell. Since you have a 3/4" gap, something should be done. I would install a screw jack in the vicinity of the damaged joist once you reinforce it. Nail it at the top, tapcon it at the bottom. Make the necessary lift so you can tile on a good floor.

Have fun! :D

Start lifting a house that old and things are going to start cracking, adding to the workload.
How about good ole fashion linoleum or perhaps an exotic tropical wood that is impervious to water and wear ?

I agree with Villa, just raise it slowly over a few days so things have time to move back where you want them.

I'm not to worried about messing up the walls by lifting the floor. I think I can take out enough of the sag to have a good base for tile.

Your floor does not have to be level to install tile.It has to be flat.Especially for larger format tiles.

Just wondering, jaustin, what did you do and how did it work out??

Latest posts

Back