Hard to find entry knobs, pushbutton

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Daryl-

Reaction score
I'm wanting to replace the entry knob locksets on my house. I prefer the type of entry knobs that have a push-button on the inside knob. It's just simpler and safer. I'm hoping to find "cheap" locksets, as the deadbolts I'll be installing will be grade 1. I'm wanting to find the tulip style or similar in polished brass and available keyed alike. Antique brass or brushed brass would suffice.

If anyone can lead me to a web page or provide a maker/model # it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure why you want push buttons. Easy to lock yourself out. Besides, if they're hard to find, there may be more reasons that no one is making them. Also remember that with exterior knobs, cheap may not be durable against the weather, and replacing them in a few years may turn out more expensive than buying a good set only once.

Oh, and :welcome: to the site.

Last edited:
We've had pushbutton entry knobs for years and never had a problem locking ourselves out. The reason I like them is, all you have to do is turn the locked knob as your exiting and the button pops out. Thus, it's alot safer if you're crawling to the door under the smoke to escape a fire.

Under normal circumstances, upon exiting, all you have to do is push the button before closing the door behind you. Much simpler and safer. With the type locksets that have a turn button, you have to turn them twice going out.

Also, with the tulip style, it's alot less likely that you might bump against the button and lock yourself out.

Last edited:
The knob locksets that have an inside button that you have to turn to lock it, must be un-turned to the unlocked position as go out the door. If your leaving your property, you then have to turn it again to the locked position before you close the door behind you.

I use only the knob locks when I'm at home as i use double cylinder deadbolts.

P.S. Thanks for the welcome!

Last edited:
I didn't mean to sound smart-azz about it, and I hope you didn't take wrong, but as my locks don't require being turned to exit, I wasn't sure what you meant.

I didn't mean to sound smart-azz about it, and I hope you didn't take wrong, but as my locks don't require being turned to exit, I wasn't sure what you meant.

I don't think he took that wrong, and I agree that when you have the dead bolt and the lockset, unlocking both in a hurry in the dark can be confusing. It can be like a combination where you are locking one while unlocking the other causing panick. That is why most people use just the dead bolt, but I he really want the second lock the push button is what I would want too.

Nah, slownsteady. I'm good.

I did find some ProGrade knobsets you can get anywhere from $7-$8 a set. Don't know if the style I want has a pushbutton. I'll have to call. I hope I'm not doin sumpin wrong by posting a few links. http://kustomkey.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.33/.f

Any commercial or multi unit landlords, etc that may stumble upon this post might like these.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PROGRESSIVE...aultDomain_0&hash=item487a58ef2b#ht_604wt_847
I haven't asked if these are available as keyed alike but, surely there's some matches. They're priced pretty high at one site I found. Wish they were 2 3/8 backset. :( The seller has more in another listing.

Yes Neal. Thing is, I always install double cylinder deadbolts. When I install them, I take a high quality clear epoxy and fill /coat the screwheads. If a thief gets in through a window, at least they'll have possibly a little extra frustration.

Hope my post helps someone.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back