What size furnace do I need ?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lewisfiremedic

Reaction score
I have an electric furnace that's ran to 2 60 amps breakers, I'm not sure what size furnace I have now. It heats my house ok, only 1200 sq ft, but it's about to go, making buzzing sounds as if the coils or some contacters are going bad. Can anyone help with what size I can replace it with, the ones I'm looking at range from 10-20kw.

Funny guy...:clap:
But seriously folks..LOL.. check around and see if there is a wattage plate somewhere on the unit. Turn off the breaker also, before something catches fire. Buzzing is no good on an electric heater.
Then take the faceplate off, there may be something behind it to help identify what size it is.
:welcome:

Minimum of 48,00 BTU but depends on your house dimensions, ceiling height, quality of insulation and temperature increase needed. Here is a calculator you can start with to estimate your minimum needs ... I set it to mimic a 1200 sq ft house. Ultimately, you will have to get a HVAC guy to do the calcs. Be prepared for horror stories and big units. GOOD LUCK :D

http://www.calculator.net/btu-calcu...=50&temperatureunit=f&calctype=heat&x=50&y=11

Latest posts

Back