Workshop electrical issue

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daryl in Nanoose

Reaction score
I have a panel in the shop with a 40 amp main, . Now all of a sudden only 2 15 amp circuits are working and all the rest are not. About 2 months ago I went and turned on my thermostat for my drywall heater that heats the shop and the lights went out, turned the thermostat off and the lights came on so I left it off. Went to use my miter saw the other day and you could tell there wasn't enough power to run the saw properly and the lights dimmed way down.
Is my panel shot or?

Is this a detached shop? Sounds like a problem with the feeder cable. Possibly one hot open or the neutral?

Is this a detached shop? Sounds like a problem with the feeder cable. Possibly one hot open or the neutral?
Thanks for the reply, further investigation turned out to be faulty breaker and it melted the main bar inside the the box so electrician coming to to replace breaker and box and going to test the main feed coning in and I am going to have him test everything else just to make sure that's all it was,

Most often I find someone cheaped out and undersized the wire size to the out building.

Back