Is this Garage interior door header load bearing?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ttownthomas

Reaction score
I am removing a wall and a door from a closet in my garage to create workspace. See photos. Above this closet is a staircase and I think that the 4 boards labeled 2 in the photos are a load bearing post of sorts. Is that correct? Assuming this is correct my plan is to case it in and leave it.

Secondly I am trying to figure out if the header labeled 1 and framing around the removed door can be removed without causing a structural problem?

Thank you in advance for any replies!

WXBqP

The post is holding up a beam or something to support the floor at the top of the stairs. The header in the wall would lead ypu to think it might be supporting the stairs.
Remove a foot or two of drywall under the stairs to see exactly how the stairs are attached to what. And welcome to the site.

Should I remove drywall on the upstairs side of the header? The Floor above is built on trusses in this area.

I took a closer look at at the third photo you can see the short studs above the header just go up to the blocks between the stringers so the header is not doing anything. It wouldn't hurt to have a look at how the stairs are attached but I wouldn't expect anything unusual.

No by looking at what they are nailed to. If they were bearing weight they would be directly under the stringers.

OK. Got it. That makes sense. Thanks for the information. Do you still think I should dig deeper on the doorway removal just to be sure?

How sure are you that the 4 10' 2x4s are holding something up? Id love not to have the pillar but of course only if it was unneeded. I am only assuming that with 4 grouped like that it must bear some load

Normally you can get away with a double floor joist beside the staircase with a double used as a beam hung from the double across the top of the stairs with two or three floor joist hung off of that for the floor at the top of the stairs. As your garage is about twenty feet, the span for the first double would be a stretch at best. They may have tried that but found a big sag in it.
Have a look at the floor to see if there is any signs that suggest there was a concrete post there before the floor was added.
Remove a ft of drywall around the post, let's see what they did.
Is there anything above this like a post holding up the roof or something or are we just dealing with the floor.

I can remove some more drywall tonight. Above it is just the floor and a railing. No post

If you are just dealing with floor sag then you could cut into the wall beside the stairs and add a beam from there to the back wall with support on the back end down to the foundation. The trick would be to add enough beam to extend a few feet into that wall to spead the load that will be on the floor. A local lumber yard could help you with span loads, at best a couple 2x10s at worst a couple lvls.

Back