Closet/Toilet flange headache and solution?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rokosz

Reaction score
So, the tiler didn't ask, didn't no, didn't do.

didn't run the 1/4" backer board or 3/8" tile under the flange (or remove the flange) (or ask if the flange could be removed)

Flange.jpg

I'm considering my options and would love to hear anything you folks have to say. There's about a 5/8" gap between the bottom of the flange and the subfloor (3/4" plywood). As you can see from this pic there's some squished thinset(?) and the plywood doesn't snug up to the drain either.
FlangeNo.jpg

My ideas: (what do you think?)
1) clean out any squished thinset and drive stainless screws but sleeve them so that the sleeves help support the screws between the flange and plywood
(This presumes I can find appropriate sleeves at big Orange or big Blue)

2) clean out the void area of all debris and squished thinset and refill with:
?) bondo ?) concrete or ? and then screw with appropriate fastener

3) what else?

Thanks folks. Some guys attract women easily. I attract trades that cause headaches way too easily. Of course, they both cause headaches. Which would you prefer?

I would clean up the thinset with a chisel and add a donet cut out of plywood.
This guy has all the tricks, accept you nevel caulk the toilet to the floor. See if some of this can work for you.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbFQcCt2qa8[/ame]

May be a dumb question, but if the weight of the toilet is supported by the tile floor, how important is it to have solid support under the flange?

May be a dumb question, but if the weight of the toilet is supported by the tile floor, how important is it to have solid support under the flange?

The flange needs to be screwed down or any moving of the toilet wood break the plastic pipe. In new houses the plumbers always cut a donut out of 1/2" plywood so when the backerboard and tile are place the flange is level with the tile.

The flange needs to be screwed down or any moving of the toilet wood break the plastic pipe. In new houses the plumbers always cut a donut out of 1/2" plywood so when the backerboard and tile are place the flange is level with the tile.

I see what you mean. I was thinking only of downward pressure, but a toilet on a tile floor might be able to slide just a little.

yeah, ya want the toilet tied down. Things can get rockin'!

I expect to make a donut as recommended (thanks!).
and as was mentioned to the toilet sitting on the flange without support can break the pipe. That's a bit of concern (I think). The flange appears to possibly sit just a touch higher than the tile surface. Possibly I can knock the flange down further into the pipe, but as you can see from one of the pics there really is very little down pipe before the transverse. If not I suppose I'll try to shim it with something -- maybe inner tube rubber?

Back