Heat Pump A/C motor failure

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peterc

Reaction score
Hi all,

Last fall I had heat problem with one house, now this spring I've got A/C with another unit. Is it me or is modern equip not up to snuff?

Anyway, this is an Amana 5 ton H/P Split Change Out. Prior owner replaced original unit with this in Dec 2009. Last night I turned on A/C & noticed it did not cool much; today again it did not cool so I began my trouble shooting. The T-stat said "cool on" ; "heat on" and no text when I forced heat and cool and off. Next I noticed the outside unit was not turning on even when the T-stat said "cool on". I flipped the breakers, removed, wiped off and replaced the outside breaker. Retried the A/C with same results, T-stat says "cool on" (I have a 10 degree diff between room temp and T-stat call temp) the blower fan does turn on but the outside unit remains off.

The T-stat did turn on heat a month ago so I'm guessing it is OK and attempts calling for A/C means the trouble is elsewhere.

I don't know how the heat pump works but I've got the blower in the house, there is another unit in the attic (single level home) and the third unit outside.

If this is a capacitor problem wouldn't the A/C attempt to turn on so I would hear it or would it not even attempt to start?

thanks for any thoughts you may have.

Peterc

attempting to locate a capacitor on the outside unit, I found the unit's information: Goodman SSZ 140601AD 208/230 Phase 1. Going on line to the Goodman site, this unit number is listed as a heat pump.
Also, looking into the unit from the top, I could see the wires, some canisters connected with copper, but nothing that looked like a capacitor.

Does this info sound reasonable? Does this unit act as a compressor for both heat and cooling?

Thanks, Peterc

Hi all,
After more trouble shooting I punted and called HVAC company. No freon so the low pressure switch would not allow the unit to start. Leak identified in coil inside air handler plus a rusty looking connection in the copper tube at bottom of condenser. Coil is under warranty but not the condenser (at least until it also begins leaking).

So I am evaluating simply replacing the coil and wait on the condenser.
Replace condenser now at my cost.
Replace entire unit with either another Amana/Goodman or Trane.

I don't have all the cost figures yet to fully analyze the options.

Any thoughts or insights you have are welcome.
Thanks, Peterc

if the warrantied replacements gets you up and running then I would hold off and wait on the rest to go bad. the unit is only 6 years old so if it were me, I'd gamble on the rest and cross that bridge when you come to it.

Latest posts

Back