Need help with redoing a coffee table

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiwife

Reaction score
My parents gave my fiance and I their old coffee table and we would like to redo it. Only problem is when they had it, they put tile on top and I have no idea how to remove the tile. My dad suggested just taking a mallet and a chisel to it but I'm afraid that might mess up the wood underneath. Any suggestions on how to remove the tile would be helpful. I have provided a couple of pictures to help visualize what the table and tile looks like. (Sorry the pictures are sideways.)

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

The damage has already been done by the tiling. You can expect the wood to be discolored.

So ... do the job! Hammer and chisel gently and try to pop the tiles horizontally instead of driving down into the wood. Once it is clear of tile, you can expect to sand a lot and finish the coffee table. I prefer not to paint wood ... but stripping the table will be time consuming.

How do you want to finish it?

wooden coffee table02.jpg

What about removing as much of the mortar base as you can and remove the top, flip it over and use the bottom as the top. It will be easier to clean up than the adhesive for the tile...Just a thought.

The damage has already been done by the tiling. You can expect the wood to be discolored.

So ... do the job! Hammer and chisel gently and try to pop the tiles horizontally instead of driving down into the wood. Once it is clear of tile, you can expect to sand a lot and finish the coffee table. I prefer not to paint wood ... but stripping the table will be time consuming.

How do you want to finish it?

I think I'm gonna try this. If all else fails, I'll just find a coffee table at a thrift store or something. I prefer unpainted wood as well. I wanna strip the paint, sand it, stain it, and put some pretty new knobs on the drawer. Thanks for the advice.

Latest posts

Back