Mosaic tile issue

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gottodo1

Reaction score
Hi Guys, long time no post!

I finally got some time to work on that bathroom again. Everything was going up GREAT until (dum dum dummmmm) I opened my 2nd to last mosaic tile and I find that somehow water had gotten inside and molded to the tile. I let it dry and then tried to remove the cardboard and the attached picture is what it looks like. There's not much left but... can I put it up like this? I picked at the cardboard for an hour but now the little rocks are coming loose so if I go much further it won't be able to be put up.

I think I can go ahead and install it but ONLY because the location of this tile will be installed is on the outside edge and at a height even with the shower head, so there's really no way it will get soaking wet. I attached photos but they're blurry, sorry!

I would normally just go buy a new one but this was the last one of a clearance set... I bought about a year ago. Any thoughts? Can I finish with it like this or is that just begging for the little pieces to fall out in a few years and find mold growth?

tile issue.jpg

Shower.jpg

Well to any future posters,

I went ahead and put it up. It went up well except more thinset came through than normal which is probably good, but SURE is a pain to cleanup. If it comes off or has problems I'll let you know.

The small tiles are on mesh just to simplify installation. If they become loose, you fasten them back in like you would any tile. It's not unusual for an installer to "customize" a sheet of mosaic, say if one accent color is not right with the customer.

I'd like to ask why you decided to install the mosaic design on the first course of tile, rather than eye level?

I'd like to ask why you decided to install the mosaic design on the first course of tile, rather than eye level?

My wife is a genius and I love it! Here's a pic fully grouted. I have a bit of baseboard/trim to do but I love the metal rails along the edge of the tiles and the grout, friggen looks amazing... I am tired of working on this house so before it gets warm I'm getting done... bought a $150 shower curtain rod instead of making one for $20... 8 screws into the tile (not super easy) and 2 in ceiling and it's done!

IMG_20150329_191111023.jpg

Ahhh, very nice. I didn't realize you were going to install two more mosaic pieces on the top. Now it is balanced and looks fantastic!

Yup, balance is important. To bad this is the downstairs kids shower, now in a year or two I'll tile the upstairs shower!

Latest posts

Back