Major renovation job...need your advice please

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illmaticnyc

Reaction score
Hi guys..i am new to this forum and have hired a General contractor to undergo a major renovation on a home built in 1969. i was wondering if you could help me with the below.

1. how much does soundproofing insulation go for per unit of measure?
2. do you guys like solar tubes and what brands are the best?
3. should i try to make my master bedroom bigger but thus making the main bathroom smaller?
4. and the BIGGEST question i need help with..on heating and cooling. please please help me. the house is 2 floors. approx 30 width and 50ft length. the house right now is very hot in the summer and cold in the winter. poor insulation. poor forced air system so i plan to go with baseboard heating throughout and installing an airhandler for AC in the attic to cool the first floor. do i need to run ducts to the first floor or naturally can the air fall from the 2nd to 1st floor via the stairs. the returns will also be on the 2nd floor. with that said...the bottom quadrant of the house is a totally separate unit for a rental. i didnt want to install ducts into that unit (my mother will be living there) bc i was afraid all the cold air from the handler in the attic and 2nd floor would just fall to her place. so i thought to maybe install those wall units that are rectangular. ductless. baseboard heating in there too. how does this set up sound?
5. now...onto the tankless...are these any good? or do you suggest i run hot water from the baseboard boiler to heat water into an insulated storage tank (sort of like a hot water heater but without the heating element on the bottom) OR...do i just keep a totally separate hot water heater in addition the baseboard boiler. i want to run an efficient but working system. i keep reading how great these tankless systems are as well as how problematic. your advice is much appreciated!
6. lastly...what nat gas fireplaces do you guys recommend?

Welcome to the site. You may want to ask a question HVAC.
1. how much does soundproofing insulation go for per unit of measure? depends a lot on what you are doing and where.
Is the downstairs a basement, partly below ground?

If you put a unit in the attic it will have to be serviced and evertime insulation will be dragged down so I would suggest an attic access in a hallway is better

Welcome to the site. You may want to ask a question HVAC.
1. how much does soundproofing insulation go for per unit of measure? depends a lot on what you are doing and where.
Is the downstairs a basement, partly below ground?

If you put a unit in the attic it will have to be serviced and evertime insulation will be dragged down so I would suggest an attic access in a hallway is better

yes the ac will be up in the attic with hallway access

Hi guys..i am new to this forum and have hired a General contractor to undergo a major renovation on a home built in 1969. i was wondering if you could help me with the below.

1. how much does soundproofing insulation go for per unit of measure?
2. do you guys like solar tubes and what brands are the best?
3. should i try to make my master bedroom bigger but thus making the main bathroom smaller?
4. and the BIGGEST question i need help with..on heating and cooling. please please help me. the house is 2 floors. approx 30 width and 50ft length. the house right now is very hot in the summer and cold in the winter. poor insulation. poor forced air system so i plan to go with baseboard heating throughout and installing an airhandler for AC in the attic to cool the first floor. do i need to run ducts to the first floor or naturally can the air fall from the 2nd to 1st floor via the stairs. the returns will also be on the 2nd floor. with that said...the bottom quadrant of the house is a totally separate unit for a rental. i didnt want to install ducts into that unit (my mother will be living there) bc i was afraid all the cold air from the handler in the attic and 2nd floor would just fall to her place. so i thought to maybe install those wall units that are rectangular. ductless. baseboard heating in there too. how does this set up sound?
5. now...onto the tankless...are these any good? or do you suggest i run hot water from the baseboard boiler to heat water into an insulated storage tank (sort of like a hot water heater but without the heating element on the bottom) OR...do i just keep a totally separate hot water heater in addition the baseboard boiler. i want to run an efficient but working system. i keep reading how great these tankless systems are as well as how problematic. your advice is much appreciated!
6. lastly...what nat gas fireplaces do you guys recommend?

1. Quality and quantity of sound proofing varies widely. Very hard to peg a simple range.

2. Solar tubes add light without adding heat gain. Less expensive than skylights and less likely to leak. I like them ... and they are quick/easy to install.

3. Leave the master bath as large as possible if you plan to sell they house for $$$.

4. Hope somebody here is HVAC qualified.

5. Tankless saves energy but they do require annual maintenance, flushing. Installation is moderately complex but very do-able.

That all depends on how big the bedroom is and how big the bathroom is. If you are planning a complete reno of the bathroom, place all your fixtures (in a paper plan) and see if it's comfortable. If you are going to move a wall to just gain a foot or maybe just inches, you'll have to decide if it's worth the price.

do i need to run ducts to the first floor or naturally can the air fall from the 2nd to 1st floor via the stairs.

I doubt you'll be happy with that. The air movement is a two-way process so you won't get as much flow as you think and then the cool air will prob not distribute evenly throughout the first floor. if you are installing ducts and vents add them to the first floor too.

i didnt want to install ducts into that unit (my mother will be living there) bc i was afraid all the cold air from the handler in the attic and 2nd floor would just fall to her place. so i thought to maybe install those wall units that are rectangular. ductless. baseboard heating in there too. how does this set up sound?

Vents can be set up so that air flow can be controlled, either mechanically or electronically. Baseboard heat in your mom's apartment is good; set it up on it's own zone (separate thermostat). Separate zone for the bedrooms too. They don't have to be kept cozy when they're empty.
...or do you suggest i run hot water from the baseboard boiler to heat water into an insulated storage tank

I have a similar setup; a zone off the boiler heats a super-insulated hot water tank. Had it for years without many issues. Even with two daughters and a wife I have not run out of hot water yet. ;)

2703z01-6-1.jpg

Last edited:
That all depends on how big the bedroom is and how big the bathroom is. If you are planning a complete reno of the bathroom, place all your fixtures (in a paper plan) and see if it's comfortable. If you are going to move a wall to just gain a foot or maybe just inches, you'll have to decide if it's worth the price.

I doubt you'll be happy with that. The air movement is a two-way process so you won't get as much flow as you think and then the cool air will prob not distribute evenly throughout the first floor. if you are installing ducts and vents add them to the first floor too.

Vents can be set up so that air flow can be controlled, either mechanically or electronically. Baseboard heat in your mom's apartment is good; set it up on it's own zone (separate thermostat). Separate zone for the bedrooms too. They don't have to be kept cozy when they're empty.

I have a similar setup; a zone off the boiler heats a super-insulated hot water tank. Had it for years without many issues. Even with two daughters and a wife I have not run out of hot water yet. ;)

what did you use to cool your house?

Latest posts

Back