Building a short wall.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Chris

I want to build a few walls that are two feet tall by probably 100'+ long. Going to use 6 x 8 x 16 cinder block, what size footing am I looking at? and do i need any rebar in them?

I would build 5 1/2 x 16 by time you lift it up to level it will be between 6 and 8 inches deep and I would use 2 5/8 rebar, hung 2 inches from the ground.

Don't know what purpose the walls will serve, but dry stack blocks are easier and look way better. And they are plenty strong if done right.

Last edited:
I like stack block but for the look I am going for a wall is required. They will be alongside some of the roads on my property

Your problem may be getting them level. If your road is level and your footing is level, that's one thing. If your road isn't level, your footing will still need to be because you can't really stack block on an uneven surface. That's why a stone or even poured wall might be a better wall in that application because you can still get them even at 2 feet above grade if there any peaks or valleys on your road.

I thought about a poured wall. one area is level, the other is sloping down a bit.

They will be holding back about 12" of dirt, retaining by definition but no real weight pushing on them.

Latest posts

Back