HVAC and water question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illmaticnyc

Reaction score
on heating and cooling. please please help me. the house is 2 floors. approx 30 width and 50ft length. the house right now is very hot in the summer and cold in the winter. poor insulation. poor forced air system so i plan to go with baseboard heating throughout and installing an airhandler for AC in the attic to cool the first floor. do i need to run ducts to the first floor or naturally can the air fall from the 2nd to 1st floor via the stairs. the returns will also be on the 2nd floor. with that said...the bottom quadrant of the house is a totally separate unit for a rental. i didnt want to install ducts into that unit (my mother will be living there) bc i was afraid all the cold air from the handler in the attic and 2nd floor would just fall to her place. so i thought to maybe install those wall units that are rectangular. ductless. baseboard heating in there too. how does this set up sound?

now...onto the tankless...are these any good? or do you suggest i run hot water from the baseboard boiler to heat water into an insulated storage tank (sort of like a hot water heater but without the heating element on the bottom) OR...do i just keep a totally separate hot water heater in addition the baseboard boiler. i want to run an efficient but working system. i keep reading how great these tankless systems are as well as how problematic. your advice is much appreciated!

the ac, will not "fall" to the lower floors. you need to run a duct system

provide a drawing of floor plan. and ceiling heights, do you have a crawl space

Given the size of the house 3000 square feet, I'd install two units, one for each floor. If you have a crawlspace or basement run the ducts for the first floor there and run the insulated ducts for the second floor in the attic. If you're on a slab ductwork for the first floor becomes a bit of a challenge. I'm not an HVAC expert but I'd probably look at two different options for the first floor. I'm not sure which would be best in your case.

1. A ductless split system. http://energy.gov/energysaver/articles/ductless-mini-split-air-conditioners Some outside units can handle 3 indoor units. All you need to run is the coolant plumbing and a 120VAC circuit for the blower motor.

2. A high velocity mini-duct HVAC system. These use small diameter ducts at high velocity to move the air around the house. They are really good for retrofit situations. http://www.remodelingexpense.com/costs/cost-of-high-velocity-mini-duct-systems/

You will not be happy with one unit in the attic trying to cool the downstairs by gravity. You'd need to run ducts down to the first floor and have an air return on the first floor to get the air moving on the first floor. That will eat up space in your house somewhere. Two systems will be the way to go, allows for much easier zoning of your AC. Also, when one of the units is down and needs service you can limit your activities on that floor until the repairman can make it to your house.

Given the size of the house 3000 square feet, I'd install two units, one for each floor. If you have a crawlspace or basement run the ducts for the first floor there and run the insulated ducts for the second floor in the attic. If you're on a slab ductwork for the first floor becomes a bit of a challenge. I'm not an HVAC expert but I'd probably look at two different options for the first floor. I'm not sure which would be best in your case.

1. A ductless split system. http://energy.gov/energysaver/articles/ductless-mini-split-air-conditioners Some outside units can handle 3 indoor units. All you need to run is the coolant plumbing and a 120VAC circuit for the blower motor.

2. A high velocity mini-duct HVAC system. These use small diameter ducts at high velocity to move the air around the house. They are really good for retrofit situations. http://www.remodelingexpense.com/costs/cost-of-high-velocity-mini-duct-systems/

You will not be happy with one unit in the attic trying to cool the downstairs by gravity. You'd need to run ducts down to the first floor and have an air return on the first floor to get the air moving on the first floor. That will eat up space in your house somewhere. Two systems will be the way to go, allows for much easier zoning of your AC. Also, when one of the units is down and needs service you can limit your activities on that floor until the repairman can make it to your house.

which systme would you go with that gives the best BANG for buck. this is all so helpful .thank you!

I only know about their existence as options. I don't know the relative cost of the two systems an HVAC professional should be able to help you find the most cost effective system for your application. As always get several quotes.

My uncle installed a minisplit system several years ago. He was pretty happy with it as it allowed him to get away from window AC units in his Hot Water heated house without tearing it up to install ductwork. I've seen them use the mini duct systems on This Old House.

Back