Suggesting for tool/process for tracking a DIY home projects

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tahlia

Reaction score
Hi. I'm new. I am trying to learn what tools others use to track and organize their DIY projects. For example, paint colors, appliances purchased, flooring purchased, any associated warranties and manuals, stuff like that.

Right now, I have a drawer full of manuals, warranties, and receipts. And various tools i use for inspiration and project organization. Was hoping to see how others organize their projects and track the items installed/purchased.

thanks!

A simple portable filing box with hanging folders works for me.

really? what happens when you have more manuals that what a filing box can hold. it would seem a digital solution might be better...especially when accessing manuals or warranties quickly. is that not a problem for you?

You can scan your warranty cards. Many owner's manuals are available online and as downloads in PDF format. So you can keep those docs on your computer. MyLowes is a feature on the Lowes website for tracking your purchases including paint colors. I don't use it myself, but it is an option.
I find that snapping a few pics with my phone is a handy way to document works in progress, like "what's behind this wall?" You can also snap a pic of paint and stain cans for the label info.
Last thought is to check into those home design programs. I seem to remember that they have places for info.

On the low-tech side, you can get a notebook and keep a journal....

Then what happens when your computer crashes like mine did last week?

If I see something I might want to access in the future like an exploded diagram with part numbers I scan it into a file on the computer. Most of the manual is useless junk like safety warnings for idiots, or instructions in foreign languages. I see no need to keep that part. Many times the manuals are available online so you don't really need a hard copy anyways.

I'm also a fan of taking in progress pictures of major projects and filing those in case I need to know exactly how something went together in the future, or how the wiring was run in that wall.

As for computer crash insurance, I believe in regular backups. About once a month I burn any files I consider important to a DVD and also to a thumb drive, so I have double backup.

Hello. I'm just new here and came across your post. Anyway, I remember when I had my first remodeling at home. I found it very challenging since I didn't have any experience related to it. Also, I didn't have enough funds to hire a professional home improvement contractor. Anyway, what really helped me were different articles I saw in the internet. Good thing that home remodeling has become a trend nowadays because more people are sharing tips and ideas since not all can afford to get a professional. What I'm really trying to say is that you'll see many options and designs out there. Also, there are people with experience that can help you in discussions like this (without any fees). I hope you enjoyed or will enjoy remodeling your home. I did! :)

Back